Suclata Hatchling babies looking a little dry

Bkelly

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Hello people!

So my two hatchling babies are looking a little dry on their heads? They get soaked for at least 30 mins every day and have access to fresh water all the time, the eat very well and are thriving amazing! They are very active and couldn't be doing any better, but they just seem to be dry? I attached images below of them to show you what I mean. They get sprayed in their tank and me and my bf try to keep the humidity up as much as possible. It averages at like 55 during the day when we are not around, but multiple times throughout the day we spray it to bring it up to like 90 and at night when we cover the top it stays up around 70-80% at night most of the time. I don't know what thesis is though? they were not this dry when we got them. Any suggestions please??? Also we use one of those mercury heat lamp light bulbs for during the day, which is like a very good light bulb.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3049.JPG
    IMG_3049.JPG
    994.5 KB · Views: 63

Bkelly

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
They eyes are fully open and it looks alert.
It seems to be in very good health.

Yeah I agree! They are! They eat very well, and we have grown a garden and give them as much natural sunlight as possible! We try are very best, I just didn't know if this dryness is normal or not?!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello people!

So my two hatchling babies are looking a little dry on their heads? They get soaked for at least 30 mins every day and have access to fresh water all the time, the eat very well and are thriving amazing! They are very active and couldn't be doing any better, but they just seem to be dry? I attached images below of them to show you what I mean. They get sprayed in their tank and me and my bf try to keep the humidity up as much as possible. It averages at like 55 during the day when we are not around, but multiple times throughout the day we spray it to bring it up to like 90 and at night when we cover the top it stays up around 70-80% at night most of the time. I don't know what thesis is though? they were not this dry when we got them. Any suggestions please??? Also we use one of those mercury heat lamp light bulbs for during the day, which is like a very good light bulb.
How deep is the substrate..deeper allows moisture to remain in the lower levels and also allows them the ability to dig in if they are feeling abit dry...I agree that they have a good lively appearance to them...but uh, that sure is a lot of strawberry for that size of tort...you don't offer fruit regularly right...lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah I agree! They are! They eat very well, and we have grown a garden and give them as much natural sunlight as possible! We try are very best, I just didn't know if this dryness is normal or not?!

Some folks are of the belief that they must be locked away in closed enclosure with high constant levels of humidity dripping off of them at all times...just not my thing, tortoise as well as turtles need a bit of opportunity to allow a complete body and shell dry out to maintain an overall health..but they equally need time to juicy up when they need that balance...and if your torts are outdoors they will generally get that drier appearance simply from being outdoor in the fresh air...just my take on ..

Bkelly

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
How deep is the substrate..deeper allows moisture to remain in the lower levels and also allows them the ability to dig in if they are feeling abit dry...I agree that they have a good lively appearance to them...but uh, that sure is a lot of strawberry for that size of tort...you don't offer fruit regularly right...lol
The substrate is deep enough to cover their entire bodies in it. So its a good depth, and no no no we do not offer strawberries all the time. That was the first strawberry he has ever had, he has only had fruit twice, and he didn't eat the whole thing either. It was a small strawberry!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"Some folks are of the belief that they must be locked away in closed enclosure with high constant levels of humidity dripping off of them at all times...just not my thing, tortoise as well as turtles need a bit of opportunity to allow a complete body and shell dry out to maintain an overall health..but they equally need time to juicy up when they need that balance...and if your torts are outdoors they will generally get that drier appearance simply from being outdoor in the fresh air...just my take on .."

The above post is based on ZERO experience raising sulcatas, or hatchlings of any species of any age.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The substrate is deep enough to cover their entire bodies in it. So its a good depth, and no no no we do not offer strawberries all the time. That was the first strawberry he has ever had, he has only had fruit twice, and he didn't eat the whole thing either. It was a small strawberry!

Awesome...and sometimes it is hard to hear in text the tone someone is using...so just know I was more funning about the giganto looking strawberry in comparison to the tort...not seriously bitching about him eating one...:D

Bkelly

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Awesome...and sometimes it is hard to hear in text the tone someone is using...so just know I was more funning about the giganto looking strawberry in comparison to the tort...not seriously bitching about him eating one...:D
ahaha its okay I just didn't want anyone thinking I was bad for giving him a strawberry! Everyones deserves a treat here and there lol

Bkelly

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
"Some folks are of the belief that they must be locked away in closed enclosure with high constant levels of humidity dripping off of them at all times...just not my thing, tortoise as well as turtles need a bit of opportunity to allow a complete body and shell dry out to maintain an overall health..but they equally need time to juicy up when they need that balance...and if your torts are outdoors they will generally get that drier appearance simply from being outdoor in the fresh air...just my take on .."

The above post is based on ZERO experience raising sulcatas, or hatchlings of any species of any age.

Tom What do you think on the topic? I would appreciate your opinion as well. I have been reading your forums!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello people!

Even a few mouthfuls of strawberry are enough to upset the GI tract of a tortoise this small. I wouldn't offer that again.

About the dryness: It could be from hard water stains. Are you using tap or well water for your frequent sprayings? As that water evaporates under your hot bulb, it leaves behind the minerals. Over time its starts looking worse and worse.

Do you see the big notch formed by the outermost newest growth ring? That is from overly dry desiccating conditions. I have tried many times to raise sulcatas with an open top and I encountered the same problems you are encountering every single time. An open top invites all the good heat and humidity to exit right up and out into the room. Frankly 50% humidity with an open top and a hot MVB is going to cause dryness and desiccation. It is also going to cause pyramiding. Unlike the previous poster, I know this because I have raised 100's of baby sulcatas in any type of enclosure you can imagine. We need to be simulating the African rainy season that sulcatas hatch into. It is hot, humid and there are puddles, marshes and green growing food and cover everywhere. Babies in the wild will never experience 50% humidity. Think South Florida or New Orleans in summer.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

You know Tom, I have had you on ignore for months now because of your poor behavior, erroneous and slanderous comments..of which you have no basis for other than you apppear pissed that I am not one of your cronies on a method that is not even originally yours?? Just so you know, I will continue to share that there are a variety of ways to care for a tortoise other than the sloppy unnaturally wet way..and now you will return to the land of the ignored..but do tread lightly sir, keep your comments to your beliefs and don't be so worried that some may know better as well...

To the member who owns this post, let me apologize for having to do this here...but this person confuses what this forum is for...for all to share and not anyone to own, other than Josh..the person who created this site

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...but this person confuses what this forum is for...for all to share and not anyone to own, other than Josh..the person who created this site

There is nothing slanderous or inappropriate about pointing out to thousands of readers that any person's bad advice is based on fantasy and feelings, and that advice to the contrary is based on real world experience with 100's of babies of the species in question. In fact, I find it constructive in that it helps people determine fact from fiction and allows them follow the advice that suits them best.

Any time you would like to show the results of raising several sulcata babies using the methods you promote, I would love to see it. I think, however, that you should at least attempt the methods you promote BEFORE you go advising people to follow said methods.

Further, there is no one on this forum who has attempted to raise sulcata babies in more ways than I have. I know of no one in the world who has tried as many different things as I have. For you to say that I only know or recommend "one way" or "my way" is absurd, and a brief search of my previous posts on this forum will aptly demonstrate this fact.

Sorry, Angela. As long as you or anyone else continues to offer bad advice based on zero experience, I will continue to let the readers know. I invite others to point it out when I do the same. If you'd ever like to stop doing this, I would be happy to be friends again and talk about our shared views on the whole hibernation thing.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
There is nothing slanderous or inappropriate about pointing out to thousands of readers that any person's bad advice is based on fantasy and feelings, and that advice to the contrary is based on real world experience with 100's of babies of the species in question. In fact, I find it constructive in that it helps people determine fact from fiction and allows them follow the advice that suits them best.

Any time you would like to show the results of raising several sulcata babies using the methods you promote, I would love to see it. I think, however, that you should at least attempt the methods you promote BEFORE you go advising people to follow said methods.

Further, there is no one on this forum who has attempted to raise sulcata babies in more ways than I have. I know of no one in the world who has tried as many different things as I have. For you to say that I only know or recommend "one way" or "my way" is absurd, and a brief search of my previous posts on this forum will aptly demonstrate this fact.

Sorry, Angela. As long as you or anyone else continues to offer bad advice based on zero experience, I will continue to let the readers know. I invite others to point it out when I do the same. If you'd ever like to stop doing this, I would be happy to be friends again and talk about our shared views on the whole hibernation thing.

Again Tom, you speak of things you know nothing of. Just because you put out some guidelines you create does not make them guidelines everyine must adhere to because Tom says so. Lets be clear in this, you know nothing about me on a personal level and frankly never will..so the garb you spew in an attempt to somehow make yourself some deciding factor in who has valuable or non valuable information is amusing..you know as well as I do that there are folks in the real world as well as on this forum that do not subscribe to the wet soggy practice..and they have said their part only to be addressed in the same way as you have done here...grow up Tom...friends? There is an old saying that goes something like, with friends like you who needs enemies...you are wrong in your behavior, you are lacking and wrong in knowledge about me personally that you believe you have. I hope you understand that I believe you have valuable information to share and should continue to do so...but I believe you sometimes forget that others also have valuable insight to offer...all the way from the newest member to the oldest and try to recall in what it is to be respectful of that...I can remember a time when I use to enjoy reading your posts, when you would actually share care ideas and share yiur thoughts on a variety of topics. Then at some point there was this gradual slide in to a dictator type role and that is when I no longer enjoyed our interactions nor even watching the way others members were treated hy you...that is when I placed you ok n the ignored member list..

Bkelly

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Even a few mouthfuls of strawberry are enough to upset the GI tract of a tortoise this small. I wouldn't offer that again.

About the dryness: It could be from hard water stains. Are you using tap or well water for your frequent sprayings? As that water evaporates under your hot bulb, it leaves behind the minerals. Over time its starts looking worse and worse.

Do you see the big notch formed by the outermost newest growth ring? That is from overly dry desiccating conditions. I have tried many times to raise sulcatas with an open top and I encountered the same problems you are encountering every single time. An open top invites all the good heat and humidity to exit right up and out into the room. Frankly 50% humidity with an open top and a hot MVB is going to cause dryness and desiccation. It is also going to cause pyramiding. Unlike the previous poster, I know this because I have raised 100's of baby sulcatas in any type of enclosure you can imagine. We need to be simulating the African rainy season that sulcatas hatch into. It is hot, humid and there are puddles, marshes and green growing food and cover everywhere. Babies in the wild will never experience 50% humidity. Think South Florida or New Orleans in summer.

OMG! I knew it was because of our open top! We do use tap water, and I think we are going to switch to filtered water, distill water, or fresh spring water. We will switch to filtered for everything spraying and what not. We have a glass tank though, I want to be able to still use the tank and create a top for it instead! Hopefully we can figure out a way to keep the top covered by building something for it. I saw on one of your posts about building indoor enclosures that are not opened top so I will have to check that out!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
A lot of people get a piece of plexiglass cut to size . I have a screen top and used plastic over the screen works great ! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Again Tom, you speak of things you know nothing of. Just because you put out some guidelines you create does not make them guidelines everyine must adhere to because Tom says so. Lets be clear in this, you know nothing about me on a personal level and frankly never will..so the garb you spew in an attempt to somehow make yourself some deciding factor in who has valuable or non valuable information is amusing..you know as well as I do that there are folks in the real world as well as on this forum that do not subscribe to the wet soggy practice..and they have said their part only to be addressed in the same way as you have done here...grow up Tom...friends? There is an old saying that goes something like, with friends like you who needs enemies...you are wrong in your behavior, you are lacking and wrong in knowledge about me personally that you believe you have. I hope you understand that I believe you have valuable information to share and should continue to do so...but I believe you sometimes forget that others also have valuable insight to offer...all the way from the newest member to the oldest and try to recall in what it is to be respectful of that...I can remember a time when I use to enjoy reading your posts, when you would actually share care ideas and share yiur thoughts on a variety of topics. Then at some point there was this gradual slide in to a dictator type role and that is when I no longer enjoyed our interactions nor even watching the way others members were treated hy you...that is when I placed you ok n the ignored member list..

This is silly. Likewise you don't know anything about me either, and all of your assertions and assumptions are false.

I do not subscribe to any "wet soggy" method. My substrate is dry on top. I subscribe to any method that simulates the African Rainy Season climate that sulcatas hatch into in the wild. I subscribe to any method that grows a relatively smooth healthy tortoise. Does your method grow smooth healthy tortoises? Oh wait, you don't know because you have never even tried it.

Dictator? The only thing I dictate is the results of my experiments and experiences, good or bad, right here on public display. Where are your results? Oh wait, you don't have any results because you have never raised a hatchling of any species.

There is no need for any of this non-sense. You don't know what you are talking about, and I simply want to let the readers know that. You are free to hold and espouse whatever feelings and emotions you want, and I am free to tell people you have never raised any hatchling of any species, so that they may make a more informed decision about how much they want to base their husbandry practices on your recommendations. If you don't give people advice that I know from experience will be bad for their tortoises, then I won't have to come behind you to make sure people know that your advice is based on nothing but your feelings. I'd love it if we could stop this. Can we?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This is silly. Likewise you don't know anything about me either, and all of your assertions and assumptions are false.

I do not subscribe to any "wet soggy" method. My substrate is dry on top. I subscribe to any method that simulates the African Rainy Season climate that sulcatas hatch into in the wild. I subscribe to any method that grows a relatively smooth healthy tortoise. Does your method grow smooth healthy tortoises? Oh wait, you don't know because you have never even tried it.

Dictator? The only thing I dictate is the results of my experiments and experiences, good or bad, right here on public display. Where are your results? Oh wait, you don't have any results because you have never raised a hatchling of any species.

There is no need for any of this non-sense. You don't know what you are talking about, and I simply want to let the readers know that. You are free to hold and espouse whatever feelings and emotions you want, and I am free to tell people you have never raised any hatchling of any species, so that they may make a more informed decision about how much they want to base their husbandry practices on your recommendations. If you don't give people advice that I know from experience will be bad for their tortoises, then I won't have to come behind you to make sure people know that your advice is based on nothing but your feelings. I'd love it if we could stop this. Can we?

Likewise, I will continue to come behind you and affirm they are not doing wrong by not following the gospel according to Tom..and I am wèll beyond done with your silliness..as with your prior baseless insults. I will continue to share what I do know about tortoise, turtles and a variety of other topics that still do not require your clearance..have a good day;)

Keith D.

Arizona
I use a closed chamber for my three little 3 week old sulcata hatchlings and they are looking great I think. I also use bottled spring water and our very good well water which is reverse osmosis filtered 4 times at the well and then it goes threw two more filters here at home and we get monthly checks on the water quality that tells us all the good and bad and so far we have been ranked #1 best water in the county but like I said I still use bottled to lol

Attachments

• received_967574613304870.jpeg
    received_967574613304870.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 11