Sudden tortoise death

Location (City and/or State)
escondido
My 8 month old sulcata tortoise suddenly died this morning. His temperature was always 85 or higher and his humidity was also always above 50.
I feed him everyday and refilled his water everyday. This morning I saw him walking around fine and then when I misted his enclosure I noticed he didn’t react. I then picked him up and he was just dead. I dont know what I did wrong. He did seem a little lethargic these past 2 weeks. Can someone help me find out why he just died?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Humidity should have been 80% and what was the basking temp? Basking should have been 95-100. Without proper basking, he can't digest his food and insides won't work properly
Sorry for your loss.
If you decide to get another tortoise, please read our carsheets. I'm thinking you got some bad info.

escondido
Humidity should have been 80% and what was the basking temp? Basking should have been 95-100. Without proper basking, he can't digest his food and insides won't work properly
Sorry for your loss.
If you decide to get another tortoise, please read our carsheets. I'm thinking you got some bad info.
Basking was 100 the other side of his enclosure was 85

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I didnt ever weigh him, however I got him in march and he was on a mix of cypress mulch and coconut coir with some spagnum moss here and there.
Just trying to help you figure out what went wrong.

Almost no one starts them correctly, so where did you get it?

Can you give an approximate size? One inch, four inches, etc...

Was it a dry open topped enclosure, of a warm humid closed chamber?

How often did you soak the tortoise?

Sphagnum moss will be eaten over time and it can cause intestinal impaction and slowly kill them. It should not be used in tortoise enclosures.

escondido
Just trying to help you figure out what went wrong.

Almost no one starts them correctly, so where did you get it?

Can you give an approximate size? One inch, four inches, etc...

Was it a dry open topped enclosure, of a warm humid closed chamber?

How often did you soak the tortoise?

Sphagnum moss will be eaten over time and it can cause intestinal impaction and slowly kill them. It should not be used in tortoise enclosures.
Oh man I got it at LLLreptile store and I bought him moss because they said it would help keep the humidity. He was like 5 inches, and it was opened enclosure, I soaked him once every 2 days. I always made sure he had water too.