Sudden energy change...HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franklin10

5 Year Member
I noticed my tort suddenly drop its energy level yesterday... he was usually super active... and now today he hasnt made much of an effort to move like if he were super worn out just spread out in one spot, and if any movement does occur its about 2 in. the most... i took him out of his tank his tank and he did walk around a bit but not like before.... we just recently change his food from romaine lettuce to collard greens and spring mix and introduced rep-cal this morning and we've been soaking twice daily for 5 mins.... he has eaten some food and he does have a water dish...also we changed his bedding from the rocky stuff to the mulch that Tom recommended.... so it should be humid enough... WE'RE VERY WORRIED PLZ HELP!

(cool side temp: 85- hot side 95) not including basking temp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Temps sound good. How are you measuring them? Do you have an infrared temp gun? A by-product of more humidity and moisture is more evaporation which cools things down. Often a reduction in activity level is due to cooling. You might try raising temps a bit to see if that helps. Either lower your fixtures a little or raise the wattage.

Also, are you using one of those cfl (compact flourescent light) bulbs. Those thing can blind them and cause all sorts of problems. I highly recommend NOT using them.

What are you doing for UV and where do you live? Usually sunshine will help in a case like this.

Post a pic of the enclosure. We might see something in a pic that we'd otherwise miss.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
When did you see him poop last?
You used to have rocks in the enclosure? did he eat one?
Is he still eating? Just less active?
Were the lights off yesterday?
Mine are hiding... all cozy inside, but not coming out...

M

Maggie Cummings

Are you having his light on for 13 to 14 hours a day? And, like Tom said, are you using a coil bulb? How do his eyes look? Have you seen any bubbles from his nose? Is he doing any gaping? That's stretching his neck and opening his mouth when he stretches....

Status
Not open for further replies.