Suicidal female

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cornelius Or
I really think my female Russian is suicidal. Not only does she constantly attempt to walk off of the highest points possible without hesitation but I now also have to make sure that there is no way she can have her nostrils below water when I soak her. If she can she will go to where the water is deepest and pull inside her shell even though she will be unable to breathe and just sit there like that until I panic and move her. Then she will try it again. The first time she did it I let her since I thought she would surely come out on her own. No I had to remove her from the water and she then began to have mucus come from her nose and mouth for about 20 minutes after.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
I've never encountered something like this but what is her enclosure like? Is there anything that could stress her out (new food, change of temps, etc)?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I can’t help you with the soaking, that does sound troubling; hopefully someone experienced will be here soon.

My outdoor Russian clambers up and skids down the highest rocks she can manage; a little nerve wracking at first but they *are* built for climbing; it’s what they do. If your enclosure is large enough, I wouldn’t worry about it. If it isn’t large enough, however, perhaps she’s trying to climb out. That said, it seems odd that both behaviors started at the same time. You’re a long-time member so I couldn’t normally as but can we see pictures?

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
It's the same enclosure I've used in the past. It's a 3'x6' bookshelf I converted into a tort table. Nothing new in her routine at all. She really doesn't not like human interaction and will hide in her shell when I come around. I'll try to get some pictures added soon.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
That's interesting. Maybe try to offer some favorite foods of hers to help lower any stress? :confused:

My male Russian is not very good in the water. My husband and I joke that he has a fear of water or was traumatized at some point ... But, who knows? Maybe he was (I got him when he was already an adult)... We've been allowing him the entire bathtub but, even with toasty warm water, he'll start pacing in there very quickly. :( The water level is not high at all but he's clearly uncomfortable. So I guess I try not to "over-soak" him, if that's even a thing... o_O

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My Russian is pretty Fearless herself. I've had to modify her enclosure several times to get rid of dangerous LOL

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
If you have some sort of yard, you could let your tort run around to relieve stress
I concur. I have a lovely enclosed garden area outside where he really does get some serious "running" in. It has also plenty of plants and rocks for hiding spaces and allows him some great UV sun time. I highly recommend this if you have the yard space (or yard). He has also broadened his diet simply because I've grown more options inside his garden. If only Michigan winters were longer! :rolleyes:

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
If you have some sort of yard, you could let your tort run around to relieve stress

I've been doing this more as of late. Fortunately Texas offers warm days still this late in the year. I let them both roam for a while today as it was about 70 degrees. I'm hoping that by allowing her to exercise more that she will calm down a bit