Did your tortoise survive RI?

Sputnik&Vodka

I have had my female Russian tortoise for 20 years. She woke up out of hubernation and I saw that she started not moving very much, not eating, some bubbling coming out of her nose. I took her to the emergency vet and they have me giving her antibiotic injections every 48 hours. I soak her 2x a day. It has been a week and there has been no change except that she threw up water and her arms move to breathe. I am torn apart by this. Has anyone's tortoise had these symptoms but survived. I need hope.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
She can absolutely survive. Most, I would say do. A tortoise takes a long time to get sick, and a long time to recover. Keep her warm, and keep up the soaks.

gabby.santana

California
I'm so sorry for your loss :( let peace come into your heart knowing that you gave her a great loving home for 20 yrs

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My poor sweet baby died today! :(
You have my deepest sympathies at your loss.

Joe did survive a post hibernation RI. It is likely that he wasn't 100% fit when I put him down for the winter though I didn't know it. It happened to us after 40 years of successful hibernation. It took an awfully long time for him to recover thanks to other complications so don't go punishing yourself that your tort didn't make it.

Sending hugs

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I am sorry to hear this but make sure she is dead before you bury her. There have been many stories on here of torts that people thought were dead but in fact, they were not. I hope this will be the case. But really sorry to hear. We are all here for you.

Thirstyscott

So sad for you. I've also lost a tortoise and it was such an emotional time. You've put a lot of time and effort into yours. Don't let that go to waste.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
please accept my condolences. It's never easy losing a pet especially 1 you had so long