She BIT me!!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
So I noticed yesterday that Eloise is starting to respond to my voice and my hand in her tub....I gave her a soak and placed her back in her tub....she is always lively after a soak and so I normally give her a small snack..When I reached my hand in she was very responsive to it before I even had the food to her rock...I got a brilliant idea I will hold my hand out to her with a leaf....she walked right up and started chomping the leaf...no big deal and later she walked into my empty hand and just sat there...not wanting to interupt her moment of trust I just held my hand under her and let her enjoy sitting there. A short moment later she just walked away. Today, I walked up to her tub like normal and said "hello Eloise, what are you doing little girl?" and she slowly turned herself about in her hide (not normal yet) and poked straight out to greet me and then began to walk closer to me...I grabbed her a snack to hand feed and again she happily let me...tonight I was giving her home a spritz with water while she was in her hide and that stirred her out to inspect my comings and goings in HER home and so I decided to reach in and place my hand palm up flat on the substrate and that lil stinker walked up into my palm with no hesitation and promptly BIT my thumb!!! and surprisingly it smarts a little right after!!! but Not painful enough to stop me from laughing out loud before foolishly scolding her "No No Eloise we don't bite!!" I bet she learned her lesson!! lol oh me oh my!!!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
LMAO That is hilarious! She probably was mad that you didn't have a snack for her. :D

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Ha!! My turtle did the same thing to me!.....but mine hurt! :)
I think he thot my finger was a carrot! :)

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
The bigger she gets, the more its going to hurt. I've seen my adult RT tear through a huge chunk of pumpkin, I would not want to get bitten by him!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
are your nails painted?
Obviously dont encourage the behavior.. the next person may not take it too well....

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Eloise said:
! but Not painful enough to stop me from laughing out loud before foolishly scolding her "No No Eloise we don't bite!!" I bet she learned her lesson!! lol oh me oh my!!!

I bet you learned your lesson! LOL! Once they start associating our fingers with food, look out!

On the other hand, its great to see that she's feeling comfortable around you. :)

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
ha ha ha I am also glad she is getting comfortable with me!! the shock has still not worn off!! I thought she was a vegetarian!!! Biting the hand that feeds her seems counter productive!! lol lil stinker!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
She didn't bite the hand that feeds her. She thought your thumb WAS food. Bet she was surprised.=D

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
LOL I couldn't help but laugh after reading your post. I once had my nails painted red and mine must've thought they were berries and kept charging me, sniffing, then going in for "the kill".....lol Needless to say, I steer clear of the red nail polish

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Haha little red berries for finger nails?? hahahaha no no nail polish on mine just my hand palm side up flat to the substrate and she craweled into my palm like the night before. I thought she would just sit there a moment and leave but NO! she bit my poor thumb!!! lol I don't blame any of you for laughing it's super funny and I was so surprised that it hurt!!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
My male RT, Roz, got so excited a few times while chomping on a leaf that he didn't stop when the leaf was done and took a chomp of my finger. He actually drew blood one time. Now I'm more careful! Mila, one of my females, will walk towards my hand with her mouth open and kind of nudge at my finger, just in case I have a leaf or something. She's super greedy. Jill is greedy, too, but has never bit me. Timmy, my 'big' female on the other hand is super aloof. She just kind of looks at me like, "Uhm, and WHY would I want to eat out of your hand?" even though I've had her the longest, and have always been kind to her.

Eloise said:
Haha little red berries for finger nails?? hahahaha no no nail polish on mine just my hand palm side up flat to the substrate and she craweled into my palm like the night before. I thought she would just sit there a moment and leave but NO! she bit my poor thumb!!! lol I don't blame any of you for laughing it's super funny and I was so surprised that it hurt!!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
biochemnerd808 said:
My male RT, Roz, got so excited a few times while chomping on a leaf that he didn't stop when the leaf was done and took a chomp of my finger. He actually drew blood one time. Now I'm more careful! Mila, one of my females, will walk towards my hand with her mouth open and kind of nudge at my finger, just in case I have a leaf or something. She's super greedy. Jill is greedy, too, but has never bit me. Timmy, my 'big' female on the other hand is super aloof. She just kind of looks at me like, "Uhm, and WHY would I want to eat out of your hand?" even though I've had her the longest, and have always been kind to her.

Eloise said:

My Russian has bad aim. I will put out my fingers with the food in them and sometimes she misses and bites me. She doesn't bite down hard but gives me a dirty look like "yuck that wasn't what I want.. slavette.." :p My marginated I had to run from once because I had orange/red toe nail polish and he bound and determined to get him some of that :D

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Kerryann said:
biochemnerd808 said:

Eloise said:

My Russian has bad aim. I will put out my fingers with the food in them and sometimes she misses and bites me. She doesn't bite down hard but gives me a dirty look like "yuck that wasn't what I want.. slavette.." :p My marginated I had to run from once because I had orange/red toe nail polish and he bound and determined to get him some of that :D

Running from a tort!! bahahahaha!!! Well I guess I have found a new tort learning curve....hopefully I have learned my lesson....probably not I just want to touch her all the time and I want her to let me and I'm sure that in that effort I will be bit again....I will be sure to stay away from brightly colored nail polish though!! bahahahaha

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I know that all torts are different but my two both come running when I come into the room. My russian likes snacks and pets but doesn't like being carried. My marginated likes all of that and being held. They each have their own little personalities. I think that's fun. :D The more she knows you the more she will let you touch her. Russians always want food though so if you hand feed her she will probably bite you more thinking you always are bringing a snack. My russian wont eat her snacks unless I hand feed them to her. :p

AllCoExPat

5 Year Member
Too funny! I was giving George a rub on the head Friday night. After a few seconds, he pulled his head back slightly and opened his mouth... I don't know if he was *yawning* or if he was contemplating giving me a bite, but I didn't leave my hand there long enough to find out!

Status
Not open for further replies.