Weight Gain- How much how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I have weighed Eloise- my RT-twice since I purchased her 2 weeks ago.....the first time I weighed her was 1/6/13 and she was 272 Grams.....I weighed her today 1/13/13 and she is 279 grams..... Is this to much to fast?? How much is she supposed to gain and how often??

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That seems within good marginal growth. The thing to look for is too fast of growth. Most times when tortoises are first purchased whether it be from a pet store, reptile show, or online. The animal tends to need hydration, and this can play a large role in grams of weight to the animal from either soaking, or just ambient high humidity. Your ok with those weights. The thing to look for is the perimeter of the scutes rising above the central area of the scutes creating a "recess" looking of the carapace scutes (the carapace is the top portion of the shell and scutes are the squares that make up the shell). A good variety of diet, combined with proper hydration, and husbandry techniques will ensue a good growing animal and healthy at best. Make sure UVB is adequate as well.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I always weigh my tort's after a soak. They can have an incredible amount of feces in them that can weigh a lot. So after they "go" in their soak, I feel more comfortable weighing them.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
tortadise said:
That seems within good marginal growth. The thing to look for is too fast of growth. Most times when tortoises are first purchased whether it be from a pet store, reptile show, or online. The animal tends to need hydration, and this can play a large role in grams of weight to the animal from either soaking, or just ambient high humidity. Your ok with those weights. The thing to look for is the perimeter of the scutes rising above the central area of the scutes creating a "recess" looking of the carapace scutes (the carapace is the top portion of the shell and scutes are the squares that make up the shell). A good variety of diet, combined with proper hydration, and husbandry techniques will ensue a good growing animal and healthy at best. Make sure UVB is adequate as well.

I hope that the UVB is good I just got it setup...I had UVA on her since day 2 but just picked up the UVB on Friday now she has both I just don't want her to get fat or have pyramiding...she is however about 4 inches long..(I first measure head to tail and got 4 1/2 but learned better) he official length is a smidge under 4 inches so I'm rounding to 10 cm. should she be growing quickly at this size?

CtTortoiseMom said:
I always weigh my tort's after a soak. They can have an incredible amount of feces in them that can weigh a lot. So after they "go" in their soak, I feel more comfortable weighing them.

Good thought!! ....I did happen to weigh her both times after a soak however it wasn't intentional just kind of already had her out ya know?? lol But it will be intentional in the future...good advice!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Russians tend to grow very fast naturally. The regions on which they are fou.d have a longer winter than summer or spring so they will naturally grow at a faster raye than other tortoises. She shouldnt get fat as lomg as she has a good amount of room and exercises by walking around, diggon, and just being active in general. Everything sounds fine. UVB wise either a 5.0 tube bulb or mercury vapor bulb is perfect. Keep in mind with the tube bulbs they will start to slow emmision of UV around 6 months. At that time frame its best to buy a new one

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I've noticed she's a little less active the last few days but temps outside here is Utah have been in single digits and keeping her enclosure warm has been a bit tougher however she is basking half under her bask light and half under the UVB so I suppose that is a great think. She does not like being picked up if she is in route to the food dish I must remember that....I almost got peed on yesterday!! lol

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I weigh 'new' torts every month, and then once they have been with me for half a year, just once every half year. That should give you an idea of slow, steady growth. I agree, weigh your tort after a soak, so you're not weighing a load of feces.

There is a good calculator that can give you an idea whether your tortoise is within the healthy weight range. Here's a link: http://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/site/171.asp

You may have to convert inches to cm and oz to grams, but that should be easy by just entering e.g. "4 inches in cm" into the google search window.

Eloise said:
I've noticed she's a little less active the last few days but temps outside here is Utah have been in single digits and keeping her enclosure warm has been a bit tougher however she is basking half under her bask light and half under the UVB so I suppose that is a great think. She does not like being picked up if she is in route to the food dish I must remember that....I almost got peed on yesterday!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.