Sulcarta tortoise

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Yes we do love him and so do the dogs as they all ly together in front of the fire, I have been trying to find a vet but the UK is on lockdown but I have contacted a local zoo and there getting back to me, that's why I joined this forum to get some information, I will feel happy once he's made a mess, thank you for your time it's much appreciated
I totally understand! Lol. I have had a poo party before when Morla's finally had one!

Again, try not to take things to heart and learn what you can from everyone! They can be a wonderful resource!

Hopefully u can get him to a vet soon. and please keep us posted!

Darren counter

Truro
Hi Darren. I'm pretty new to all of this too, but I think part of the reason you got some of the responses that you did is because allowing a tort to free roam is a HUGE no-no. They don't stay warm enough, they don't get the humidity they need, etc. How his shell spikes up like that? That's not good. That's called pyramiding. If you go to the sulcata specific forum there are a TON of posts with GREAT info. We're mostly all here to learn, so I hope you'll find some helpful info there that can help you set up a safer enclosure. Even though he's been ok to date, the bigger he gets, I would think the more things he can get into/eat, etc, and the more likely you are to have problems of unknown cause like this.
I get that an enclosure is the norm but I tried one for quiet some time and he didn't like it, it upset him so I can care for his needs with out locking him away, with his shell are you saying he's not getting wet enough or to wet, as I do soak him 3 times a week and wet his shell is that enough or to much, I understand about the heat but he is alway under his lamp unless he's watching TV, I'm not sure if you seen my earlier post but we have underfloor heating that is set at 23 which is now 25 as I was worried about him, we keep our property quite tidy especially the rear garden where he goes in the summer day, but he did get out and I'm wandering if he had eaten something then, he's definitely much more comfortable tonight but will be happy when he poos I just checked him and he's under his lamp, I understand why someone of the comment are negative, but it about the care for the tortoise, I actually thought letting him have the house was better than being outside on a make shift shed, but I am curious about his shell so any advice on humidity calcium etc would be much appreciated, thank you for your reply

CincyTort26

Cincinnati, OH
I get that an enclosure is the norm but I tried one for quiet some time and he didn't like it, it upset him so I can care for his needs with out locking him away, with his shell are you saying he's not getting wet enough or to wet, as I do soak him 3 times a week and wet his shell is that enough or to much, I understand about the heat but he is alway under his lamp unless he's watching TV, I'm not sure if you seen my earlier post but we have underfloor heating that is set at 23 which is now 25 as I was worried about him, we keep our property quite tidy especially the rear garden where he goes in the summer day, but he did get out and I'm wandering if he had eaten something then, he's definitely much more comfortable tonight but will be happy when he poos I just checked him and he's under his lamp, I understand why someone of the comment are negative, but it about the care for the tortoise, I actually thought letting him have the house was better than being outside on a make shift shed, but I am curious about his shell so any advice on humidity calcium etc would be much appreciated, thank you for your reply

the soaking is great, but he needs constant higher humidity. It has to do with the keratin at the growth lines staying moist enough.

25 is still too cold. 27 would be the MINIMUM. And that is ambient temp, not just floor temp. He stays under his basking light all the time because everywhere else is too cold.
and I mean this in the nicest way, but just because it seems better to you doesn’t mean it’s actually better. Remember, they’re animals, anthropomorphizing them can be detrimental. They aren’t domesticated animals, they’re wild animals that do well in the care of humans. That doesn’t mean they do well living in our world, like our dogs or cats. They’re solitary critters and will do just fine-probably better- in a separated area

CincyTort26

Cincinnati, OH

This is an excellent explaination

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I agree completely with everything CincyTort26 has been saying. He is not warm enough.

I understand that you have looked and have not found anything he could eat, but can he get underneath any furniture? Not saying he did, but he could have munched on fabric from a chair or couch. A screw could have worked its way loose and he ate it. He could have found a dust bunny from your dogs....remember that torts cannot cough, so the offending object goes down the throat.

I'm curious...what is on the plate that he's eating?

The pyramiding that he already has will never go away. It was caused by being kept too dry, and/or possibly by the kind of bulb that was used for basking. At this point I think the only thing you can do is make sure he is always well hydrated. Many torts like to self soak. Maybe you could make him a pool in the garden that he could lounge in.

As for his weird sounds, I'm glad he is a bit improved, and hopefully he will poop soon. I understand about the stay-at-home situation, but I think you should try to have him seen for an x-ray. Maybe there's nothing there, but that's the only way to know for sure.

I'm out of ideas, but I hope to hear good news from you soon.

Darren counter

Truro
I agree completely with everything CincyTort26 has been saying. He is not warm enough.

I understand that you have looked and have not found anything he could eat, but can he get underneath any furniture? Not saying he did, but he could have munched on fabric from a chair or couch. A screw could have worked its way loose and he ate it. He could have found a dust bunny from your dogs....remember that torts cannot cough, so the offending object goes down the throat.

I'm curious...what is on the plate that he's eating?

The pyramiding that he already has will never go away. It was caused by being kept too dry, and/or possibly by the kind of bulb that was used for basking. At this point I think the only thing you can do is make sure he is always well hydrated. Many torts like to self soak. Maybe you could make him a pool in the garden that he could lounge in.

As for his weird sounds, I'm glad he is a bit improved, and hopefully he will poop soon. I understand about the stay-at-home situation, but I think you should try to have him seen for an x-ray. Maybe there's nothing there, but that's the only way to know for sure.

I'm out of ideas, but I hope to hear good news from you soon.
Thank you for your message, I would say that my house very safe as its on to levels so he has the run of the snug and kitchen, which is kept hotter than the rest of the house, the food on the plate is finely chopped carrot with calcium powder on it, the bulb in the heat lamp, I have just changed it to a hotter one as advised to keep him warmer but in not sure if to hot as he only puts half in at a time, I am wandering if the picture is making the pyramiding more exaggerated as I have looked at and they are only about 8 to 10mm high, but I do need to wet him more as I understand that the house is very dry and warm, as his area doesn't drop past 23 degrees c and plus his lamp is add heat on top, out the back of ours he has a big in closed garden with a man made pool already for him but he only use this area in the summer months, he goes to the door as soon as the sun's out and comes back when the sun goes, he's quite switched on really, I think he might have eaten a surgical glove as due to this covid 19, I have been finding them in the drive as the wind has been blowing them in, he doesn't have access to this area normally but because we left the door open he got out to this bit all of thus in early posts, I seen someone saying soak him for longer to help make him poo so he's in the bath now for two hours, he's quite today but still moving around and the noises are completely gone,

Darren counter

Truro
Update on coby!!! It's a glorious day in the UK today sunbathing weather, coby went to the back door we open it and he's gone outside and has not stopped eating grass and dandy lions he's been on the go all afternoon I have covered his shell with a damp cloth fir a bit so the sun doesn't dry him out, but he seems well I will let you know when he poos, that still hasn't happened

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm so glad to hear he's eating and the noises are gone! Eating and walking...it shouldn't take very long for his food to work its way through!

Darren counter

Truro
I'm so glad to hear he's eating and the noises are gone! Eating and walking...it shouldn't take very long for his food to work its way through!

Well late last night when coby was in the bath he did a poo, it was really hard and tightly nit together, Im thinking that when he got cold maybe his digestion slowed up and if he ate the dry dog biscuits maybe it was hard to digest, and today he's have a sleep under his lamp, but he's having a bath in a bit and again it's glorious sunshine here so I suspect he will go out

Sa Ga

MN
Well late last night when coby was in the bath he did a poo, it was really hard and tightly nit together, Im thinking that when he got cold maybe his digestion slowed up and if he ate the dry dog biscuits maybe it was hard to digest, and today he's have a sleep under his lamp, but he's having a bath in a bit and again it's glorious sunshine here so I suspect he will go out
SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!??

Who would have thought poo would be so exciting? ?

Darren counter

Truro
SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!??

Who would have thought poo would be so exciting? ?
Well it is now because I wasn't happy with the amount but he was taking a bath, and now I'm over the moon coby has done exactly what I wanted lol check pic

Attachments

• IMG_20200409_213920.jpg
    IMG_20200409_213920.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18

Sa Ga

MN
Yum. ?

Keep him hydrated (and don't forget to clean your tub out!), maybe give him a little extra fruit (sparingly but it definitely keeps things moving) like some apple, and something I learned from a friend with her constipated cat, give him firm, rhythmic pats on his backside and lower underside (like burping a baby, but of course firmer but still gentle) to help things move along. It works very well for Morla.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Excellent! I think he's going to feel a lot better. I'd give him a bit of cucumber or cactus pad. That helps to push things through.

I'm so happy for you and Coby!

Darren counter

Truro
Thank you to everyone who gave advice, bath is clean lol its a common occurrence with coby lol, he has made a full recovery, but I have taken the advice and am feeding him more fruit, he spends a lot of time in the sun so I'm spraying him with water from a spray bottle to stop him drying out, in the sun, is that a good thing? as again the weather here is glorious, and he's out munching, I'm still not sure what was wrong with him other than getting cold and eating dog biscuits

Sa Ga

MN
Glad to hear he's better! You are getting a blessed chance to fix what may have caused this--don't waste it!

I wish you all well, as it is evident you love him very much!?

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
It's making like a wining sound or belching sound but it seems to be coming from his shell
You say he/she like you're not sure if its a boy or a girl which may be the answer to your mystery.. My male Sulcata, especially this time of the year will make that exact noise just like you're describing whenever he's getting an erection. So next time you hear that noise and your tortoise is standing tall, take a peak under "his" shell.

Darren counter

Truro
You say he/she like you're not sure if its a boy or a girl which may be the answer to your mystery.. My male Sulcata, especially this time of the year will make that exact noise just like you're describing whenever he's getting an erection. So next time you hear that noise and your tortoise is standing tall, take a peak under "his" shell.
Thank you, that I will look out for, he or she is great now, and I would like to know if male or female, my vet couldn't tell, but that's a great idea ?

silverbird

Orange County, California
Do what you are doing, and if he starts getting worse, you need to go to a vet or at least, see if you can contact one by phone; as if he gets worse, time isn't on your side. Good luck with him and hope he gets better soon. Please update us.

Darren counter

Truro
Do what you are doing, and if he starts getting worse, you need to go to a vet or at least, see if you can contact one by phone; as if he gets worse, time isn't on your side. Good luck with him and hope he gets better soon. Please update us.
Thank you for your response, he seams to doing great now back to normal now, I keep checking his poo and all looks fine, not sure what really happened but it's not happening now