Sulcata and leopard turtle in MEXICO, same habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaloman

5 Year Member
Hello

My name is Gonzalo, I live in Caborca, Sonora, Mexico , My english is not so good so i apoligize , I am thinkig of buying a sulcata hatcling and a leopard hatchling, My idea is to have them together in an outside habitat, this habitat will be a big wood box with dirt in it , i already planted some bermuda, clover and dychondria so they can eat, the habitat will be protected against cats, dogs and any possible predator, here in my town is the same weather than Tucson, Arizona. Intense heat in summer (100 F )and intense cold in wintertime ( 30 F or lower ).
Like i said , this is my idea, i already have two adults desert turtles and two hatchling, they are native of sonora (my state) thats my only experience with turtles , I WILL BE REALLY THANKFUL if some one can give me some advice , i have a million of questions but i will star with a few

1.Can these two species live together without any problem?

2 .can they have a similar diet like the desert turtle? I go to a ranch everyday its easy to have native plants in the diet.

3 how well do they adapt to the arizona weather? i saw an article about an adult 100 pounds sulcata that was found living in the phoenix desert by itself, here is the same weather, and very similar desert. does this mean arizona can be ideal for sulcata? Even in winter when sometimes its get about 30 F ?

4 is it ok if they are in an outside habitat when they are babies? I heard that sunlight is necesary

5 how big does the habitat as to be when they are adult ?

this will be my first time with an exotic pet, but i want to be well inform before i buy these pets. if someone share an experience it would be great. I apologize if my idea sounds dumb, i am a beginer.

Thank you for your time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Gonzalo:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I think you're only the second Mexico member and we're glad to have you here with us. Don't worry about your English...it is just fine.

1. In my opinion, you should never mix species. Even though the leopard and sulcata both come from Africa, I still think they each should have their own habitat.

2. They eat exactly the same things that your desert tortoises eat. Native desert plants and cactus along with grass and weeds is great!

3. They should do very well in your climate down there. I would give them a bit more protection and warmth while they're babies, but once they're big enough to live outside, they will do fine. You may have to supplement the night time with heat a bit on very cold nights.

4. Yes, outside is always best. Just be sure to protect them from predators and give them plenty of hiding places and shade.

5. Is your property fenced? I think that the sulcata should have the whole yard, but you can section off an area for the leopard. It would be hard to keep a grown sulcata in a small area. I would think something in the nature of 50' x 40' might be ok for an adult. But smaller is ok while they're still small.

You mentioned you have desert tortoises. They would have to be kept separate from the African tortoises so that everyone stays healthy.

chaloman

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Gonzalo:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I think you're only the second Mexico member and we're glad to have you here with us. Don't worry about your English...it is just fine.

1. In my opinion, you should never mix species. Even though the leopard and sulcata both come from Africa, I still think they each should have their own habitat.

2. They eat exactly the same things that your desert tortoises eat. Native desert plants and cactus along with grass and weeds is great!

3. They should do very well in your climate down there. I would give them a bit more protection and warmth while they're babies, but once they're big enough to live outside, they will do fine. You may have to supplement the night time with heat a bit on very cold nights.

4. Yes, outside is always best. Just be sure to protect them from predators and give them plenty of hiding places and shade.

5. Is your property fenced? I think that the sulcata should have the whole yard, but you can section off an area for the leopard. It would be hard to keep a grown sulcata in a small area. I would think something in the nature of 50' x 40' might be ok for an adult. But smaller is ok while they're still small.

You mentioned you have desert tortoises. They would have to be kept separate from the African tortoises so that everyone stays healthy.

Thank you very much for your comment, yes my propety has a very tall wall , the desert turtles have their own fenced habitat, i was thinking of puting the sulcata and leopard in another yard, but i will do what you said , sections will be better, i will be asking for more information , thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.