Sulcata bites other sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin.mendoza180

5 Year Member
I was wondering why my 9 month tortoise bit my other tortoise about the same age. It seemed like it thought it was food but is there any suggestion on what I should do

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Justin:

This is why most of us here on the Forum are always saying that two tortoises just doesn't work out. In the wild tortoises are solitary. They don't like to be with other tortoise. The don't need another tortoise for company.

Your tortoise that bites the other one is telling him to get out of the territory. He says, "This is MY territory, and you don't belong here."

But the other tortoise, the low man on the totem pole, has nowhere to go, so he just has to sit there and take it. Eventually he will stop eating and will grow slower and will be smaller than the more dominant tortoise. If you don't separate them, he may even get sick and die.

If you can set them up outside in a great big habitat...maybe even the whole yard, it may work out ok. Lots of hiding places and enough space the they can each have their own section of land, that might work. But for now, I think you need to separate them.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
Yvonne G said:
I think you need to separate them.

I second all of Yvonne's information above.

It will only get worse.

Best of luck.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I had to sulcatas, siblings, that did well together while they were under 6 months. After that, one would push the other away from the food, the warmth, the best spots. In fact, it didn't even have to be the best spots. Anyplace the weaker one went to retreat, the other would try and claim it. Like Yvonne said, a very large yard will give them enough room to stay out of each others hair. But, you'll always need to watch them for all the reasons listed above. If you cannot give them a large space, you will need to separate them before one of them gets hurt or dies.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
If it is a constant thing, separate them or at least provide room and site barriers and different hides. If it is just a curiosity/tasting thing that does not happen habitually, you may not have to do anything.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would seperate them. They are already showing aggression. It will probably get worse. The other one will probably stop eating because of it...just my opinion..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just curious. What sort of UV bulbs do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.