Sulcata crossed with a leopard

rearlpettway

What does everyone think about this????
I found in the classifieds on Facebook.

I have for sale one two year old Leopracata (sulcata X Pardalis mix) tortoise for sale that is 8" long. It was produced by Dan and Sue Seidlitz in California. This is an absolutely stunning tortoise! Very healthy and heavy. It weighs 1675 grams, and is a very outgoing and active tortoise. No trades, please don't ask. Serious inquiries only please. Asking $1200, paypal or cash in person. Shipping will be an additional $50 to $75 and will be weather permitting only! I will ship overnight by 10:30 am, and it will require an adult signature. No exceptions! Please ask all questions. The best way to contact me is via email at [email protected] or you can call or text 770-863-0020.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Although designer breeding, or selective breeding, has brought us almost every domestic animal we have today, when it comes to chelonians, I feel there has to be some adherence to saving the integrity of the types of chelonians that exist today. I, for one, believe some of the responsibility of this "hobby" is being guardian to the species. Would hate to see a species become extint, yet we have mixes from unknown lines left in the world as the only representatives. Its hard enough to try to figure out the lineage of tortoises we have now, For example Leopards are so diluted, yet we are becoming more interested in finding a "South African" or "Ethiopian" and we just don't know anymore for the most part.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Seen them before. There are too many of them out there. I don't like it at all! I don't like any breeds crossing. If they wouldn't normally mate in the wild, which in normal to even pretty ruff circumstances, species/breeds would not mate then I don't think humans should screw it up either. But then, the human species is the only species that screws up everything!
Oh, and don't make the argument to me about everything is started from mixed breeding. I live today, not hundreds of years ago!

rearlpettway

Although designer breeding, or selective breeding, has brought us almost every domestic animal we have today, when it comes to chelonians, I feel there has to be some adherence to saving the integrity of the types of chelonians that exist today. I, for one, believe some of the responsibility of this "hobby" is being guardian to the species. Would hate to see a species become extint, yet we have mixes from unknown lines left in the world as the only representatives. Its hard enough to try to figure out the lineage of tortoises we have now, For example Leopards are so diluted, yet we are becoming more interested in finding a "South African" or "Ethiopian" and we just don't know anymore for the most part.

I have pictures and a video of a wild Ethiopian leopard tortoise.
Meet Ellie she lives in a villa in Ethiopia were my girl friends daughter lived one summer. Let me find the pictures.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have pictures and a video of a wild Ethiopian leopard tortoise.
Meet Ellie she lives in a villa in Ethiopia were my girl friends daughter lived one summer. Let me find the pictures.
saw the picture you posted last week or so. Beautiful Leopard! Exactly the type I would love to see persevered. But finding one of know lineage like that one is a totally different story in the US, let alone two unrelated for genetic diversity, yet of the same lineage.

rearlpettway

Ellie is a wild Leopard Tortoise from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
She lives in a Villa where my girl friends daughter lived one summer. The guard at the Villa said that she showed up about 5 years ago.
The residents of the Villa occasionally feed her Injera which is a local bread made from the grass Eragrostis tef which is high in fiber, iron, protein and calcium.
I discovered that the injera bread has more nutrients for the tortoise than Mazuri.
Leopard tortoises from Ethiopia get huge. They get a lot larger than leopards from other areas.
We also have 1 hour video of Ellie during her daily activities.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486428153.773937.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486428209.143001.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486428242.629658.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486428291.587205.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486428328.435072.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I abhor hybrids of any kind. I don't like it in fish, snakes, birds or anything else. I don't even like this trend of "designer" mutts that is all the rage lately, even though dogs are all one species, and not hybrids.

When it comes to tortoises, different species should not housed together, so for that reason alone, I am against these hybrids. It just should not be happening and I discourage it whenever possible.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I abhor hybrids of any kind. I don't like it in fish, snakes, birds or anything else. I don't even like this trend of "designer" mutts that is all the rage lately, even though dogs are all one species, and not hybrids.

When it comes to tortoises, different species should not housed together, so for that reason alone, I am against these hybrids. It just should not be happening and I discourage it whenever possible.
So totally agree!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Love hybrids! Lots of information to be gleaned from them. Thanks for sharing!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would never intentionally cross breed species, however, I am fascinated by them and love looking at them. If I had a chance, I would not hesitate to have one.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think it's wrong &,they want 1200 for the tortoise I wonder what the motivation is?