Sulcata Diet

Willseyboy

5 Year Member
Good morning guys,
I have 2 sulcatas at 3 years old which love to eat. How long can a sulcata go on a diet of just natural grass? I feed them produce everyday but I'm just curious to know how they will be if they were just to eat the grass in their habitat, and how long for.

Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Good morning guys,
I have 2 sulcatas at 3 years old which love to eat. How long can a sulcata go on a diet of just natural grass? I feed them produce everyday but I'm just curious to know how they will be if they were just to eat the grass in their habitat, and how long for.

Thank you.
This is not an experiment that has ever been conducted in a lab with controlled variables, so no one is going to know the answer to this question.

In theory, a grass eating species should be able to go a long time eating grass, but it should be obvious that this would create nutritional deficiencies in time. I'm sure you could do grass only for a month or two with no harm. Still best to add in weeds, leaves, flowers and spineless opuntia pads from time to time. You can also supplement with Mazuri from time to time. Or the ZooMed Grassland pellets. Multiple grass species, and grass hay too, will also bring some variety to the diet. I don't know how anyone could maintain a large sulcata without feeding orchard grass hay or Bermuda grass hay.

By the way, if they are living together as a pair, you need to separate them ASAP. They should never live as a pair.