Sulcata Ediable Plants?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
I am researching all the Sulcacta information I can every day. Even while I am at the store I look up Ediable plants and stuff to see if I stumble across anything that my babies would like. I have found conflicting information on a few plants. These ones in particular we have growing in our front yard...so if they are not poisonous that would be great! Some lists I found say they are safe and some say not. To be on the safe side I am going with poisonous...but I thought I would check on here...cause if they are not poisonous I have some good stuff to feed them. Here are the specific ones I am wondering about...

Aloe Plants
bougainvillea (flowers and leaves)
Figs (fruit and leaves)
Mulberry ( fruit and leaves)
Birds of paradise (flowers and leaves)

Also, here in Surprise, AZ there are these ground coverings with yellow flowers on them. I am not sure what they are called...still researching that, but they are everywhere in the landscaping in our subdivision. If you know what they are and/or if they are good for my babies I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you all so much! I have learned so much on here!

Kim

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Aloe-as a treat, once a week

Mulberry- leaves and fruit that falls in enclosure.

Do a cut paste with the plant name in the “search forum/sub forum" at top of the page and see what others say about specific plants. Good job doing your homework! ? ; )

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
LuckysGirl007 said:
I am researching all the Sulcacta information I can every day. Even while I am at the store I look up Ediable plants and stuff to see if I stumble across anything that my babies would like. I have found conflicting information on a few plants. These ones in particular we have growing in our front yard...so if they are not poisonous that would be great! Some lists I found say they are safe and some say not. To be on the safe side I am going with poisonous...but I thought I would check on here...cause if they are not poisonous I have some good stuff to feed them. Here are the specific ones I am wondering about...

Aloe Plants
bougainvillea (flowers and leaves)
Figs (fruit and leaves)
Mulberry ( fruit and leaves)
Birds of paradise (flowers and leaves)

Also, here in Surprise, AZ there are these ground coverings with yellow flowers on them. I am not sure what they are called...still researching that, but they are everywhere in the landscaping in our subdivision. If you know what they are and/or if they are good for my babies I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you all so much! I have learned so much on here!

Kim

bougainvillea and Birds of paradise, I believe are not good. But I may have my plants mixed up.. I do recall pulling all those out of my backyard when I got Willie to make it sulcacta proff.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
mary t said:
bougainvillea and Birds of paradise, I believe are not good. But I may have my plants mixed up.. I do recall pulling all those out of my backyard when I got Willie to make it sulcacta proff.

Thanks, Mary! That figures! I actually can't stand either of these plants. They get so over grown so fast and my Birds of Paradise blocky front door! And don't even get me started on those Bougainvillea thorns! I cut those suckers down once. I was trying to clean up the front yard landscaping for a surprise for my husband. I got ALL sliced up! But when I was done there was only about 2 inches left above the ground! I was hoping they would be good for something...guess not!

I want on a short walk threw the neighborhood today and now am searching for pictures of the plants I saw so I can identify them.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I take yard weeds to the nursery for identification. I ask for spelling and I do a google search on the spot and look at the images. Then I do a search on here and other sites to find out if it's edible good, edible sometimes, or keep it away at all costs.
When I say a nursery, I mean a real one, not a home depot garden center. Usually they know what it is from folks wanting to kill it. Hope this helps.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Lantanas... those are the ones with the yellow flowers on them here in Arizona. They are toxic.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
mainey34 said:
Lantanas... those are the ones with the yellow flowers on them here in Arizona. They are toxic.

Sheesh! Should have got rid of those too then! Funny how all the plants I dislike are not even good for my babies!

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.