Sulcata enclosure

AsaGarcia03

I have recently been working on getting my sulcata and Russian enclosure They love each other so I made a change and decided to put the together so the enclosure is looking nice here's the final product you like it?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450883119.321188.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450883151.708484.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
1. Your tortoises don't "love" each other. The signs you are seeing are most likely signs of aggression. Does one follow the other around? That is hostile chasing. One is saying to the other, "Get out of MY territory". Do they "cuddle" and sleep together? That is crowding. Again, same message. "GET OUT!!!"
2. Species should never be mixed. Especially russians are known to carry all sorts of crazy tortoise diseases. The risk of infection is high.
3. These two species have totally different care, diet and temperature requirements. Sulcatas need to be eating a lot of grass and russians should be eating no grass. Russians need a night time cool down, while sulcatas will get sick and die with the same night time cool down. Small sulcatas need high humidity to simulate the African rainy season that they hatch into, while russians need only moderate humidity.

You need to separate them ASAP, and you need to learn about the requirements and conditions needed to house each one.

These will help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, Is your tank laid on its side? The glass is blocking your heat lamp.

Are you using one of those coil type screw-in cfl UV bulbs? Those can sometimes damage tortoise eyes and should not be used, and the glass will also filter out any UV.

You should stand the tank up and hang your lamps from over head. THis way you can adjust the height of each fixture to get the temps correct under them.

All of this is explained in the care sheets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've done a very nice job making an eye-pleasing habitat, however, everything Tom has told you is quite true. Use this enclosure for your Russian and build some sort of closed chamber for the sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And all temps are correct and fine

The temps can only be correct and fine for one or the other, since they have different temperature requirements. Your sulcata needs it warm day an night since it is a tropical species. It also needs high humidity to simulate the African rainy season that it hatches into. Your russian needs more moderate humidity, and it needs a drop in night temps, which would make your sulcata sick.

AsaGarcia03

I also have 2 heat pads hooked up on the right side and a 100 watt basking bulb so it stays 95-100 degrees and at the other side it stays 75-80 degrees

M

Maggie Cummings

You do turn off the bright light at night don't you? Get a CHE ceramic heat emitter. Read what Tom said carefully please. The species you have together each carry it own bacteria and disease. They don't get sick from it, however, what is one's 'germs' indigenous to his species, could possibly sicken or even kill the other species. Just because it hasn't happened yet, it could any time. One needs moderate humidity and a cool night drop. The other needs hot daytime temps and a heat source at night. So, your temps are not fine.
Without meaning any disrespect, we are all telling you the same thing. Ya can't mix species...:eek: Both need to be set up differently, nice like the current tank, only 2 of them. Please do not think we are getting on your case. We are just offering advice and help. It is totally up to you to either take it, or don't. Just don't leave, hang out and read a lot....Russians carry a nasty virus.

AsaGarcia03

I understand everybody I am setting my other tank up today and I have a heat admitter and a red bulb for night

swatsx

5 Year Member
With all the above advice said your tank looks amazing I like the multiple levels what are your plans for the sully in the winter? That was my only reason to not get one is I didn't know what to do with him when they are big and need a winter home I have a Russian now, did you build your tank or buy?

AsaGarcia03

Swatsx I got the tank for free so I have to set it up today and it's not to cold in Georgia right now so he's not bad but I use a heater or heat pads and heat admitters When it's cold.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Good for you being so willing to accept the advice given. I agree it is a very pretty enclosure. You obviously spent time making it nice. I hope you will share pics of the new setups when you get them done. I am sure they will look great.