Sulcata enlcosure- need help behavior question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. I remember one of the really great experts in here teaching all of us about fences and how much sulcatas hate areas that they can see and cant get to. I cant remember what was said but I did walk away feeling that it was awful for them and tormented them!

Here is my question: my tortoise is always walking into walls. I enclosed a picture of our yard which is gigantic but is entirely enclosed by a white wall. There is a walkway that has a fence at the end and at the end of the day he does laps back and forth just in that area (he may be able to see through the wooden slats of this fence door but Im not sure) and even tries to climb the walls, all of which are white. Also, he tries to climb and walks into the house.

Is this normal? Is the white wall affecting him? I dont think we would be allowed to paint it and even if we were- I cant think of a color that wouldnt have the same affect. I assume my tort to be very happy at my house but this attempted wall climbing and pacing at the end of the day really concerns me sometimes.

Thanks so much for any feedback. I appreciate your time.

Attachments

• IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 103

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is typical large sulcata behavior. Even if you put them on five acres, they will still pace the perimeter. I mean this literally. I do it all the time.

Yvonne's tortoise, Dudley, has a pathway worn in the grass where he does his pacing. Looks like wheel tracks.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Is he climbing the wall or using it to make a turn? Mine does that. He used to do it more often than he has been. I have a fenced area (6 foot high wood) with a gate like you described. Small slits between the boards that he can see through. My sulcata would go there and just pace back and forth along this fenced area for hours. Now that area is walled off so that he can't get there any more. Still, he will sometimes pick one of the other walls (solid barriers) and pace back and forth along it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Perhaps place outside wind cloth on the outside of the wood fencing so that the view is completely blocked..and yes, torts will pace often ....it is kinda weird...if I place one of the CDTs here outside of his fenced in yard he will eventually try to get back in by trying to go through the fence...so wether inside or out, once they encounter the fence they seem appear to not actually realize the difference...does your tort have a place he can rest that is warm and also cool enough?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yup, my torts pace outside AND when they are inside they climb the walls..geez what a crazy breed!

Life is good

Status
Not open for further replies.