Sulcata has something pink hanging from tail area

ThomasGVAZ

Location (City and/or State)
Golden Valley, Arizona
A few days ago I noticed my 6 year old Sulcata acting weird. She was raising her back end up and down and kicking 1 rear leg while trying to move backwards. I looked closer and noticed a pinkish roundish thing hanging from around her tail. It looked like a bubble. By the time I went to lift her up and check it was gone. The next day I noticed her doing the same thing. This time her tail was covered in poop and dirt so I went to hose her off and again by the time I lifted her it was gone. It happened the next day, this was 3 straight days I noticed it but haven't noticed it in a couple days now. Each time it happened I put her in the tub and soaked her for about an hour and cleaned her real good and never noticed anything different about her. I read somewhere that since it goes back in and doesn't stay out its not a prolapse, or is it? What can it be and how should I treat it? There are no vets in this area that would handle tortoises and the nearest one is 2 hours away in Las Vegas. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, she walks around like normal and is eating fine. But I am concerned that if it comes out again and she gets dirt in there this might not be good. Any help is appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like you have a male not a female.
Post a pic of her underside, tail area so we can sex it.
A male will also have a concaved plastron. At six it nay not be as concaved as it will get. Also if he wasn't started right and raised right, his maturity may be delayed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A few days ago I noticed my 6 year old Sulcata acting weird. She was raising her back end up and down and kicking 1 rear leg while trying to move backwards. I looked closer and noticed a pinkish roundish thing hanging from around her tail. It looked like a bubble. By the time I went to lift her up and check it was gone. The next day I noticed her doing the same thing. This time her tail was covered in poop and dirt so I went to hose her off and again by the time I lifted her it was gone. It happened the next day, this was 3 straight days I noticed it but haven't noticed it in a couple days now. Each time it happened I put her in the tub and soaked her for about an hour and cleaned her real good and never noticed anything different about her. I read somewhere that since it goes back in and doesn't stay out its not a prolapse, or is it? What can it be and how should I treat it? There are no vets in this area that would handle tortoises and the nearest one is 2 hours away in Las Vegas. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, she walks around like normal and is eating fine. But I am concerned that if it comes out again and she gets dirt in there this might not be good. Any help is appreciated.
Its a boy! Break out the blue cigars.