Sulcata Hatchling Problem

Hermes

Location (City and/or State)
Lake Butler, Fl
I'm not sure if people with sick new babies actually do this but I'm going to keep you updated and ask questions here and there when I have them, I hope that's okay.

We went to a new vet today, she asked questions about heating, lighting, the humidity, the temperatures, the substrate, and all that jazz (everything y'all ask), which is what my old vet didn't ask. We told her about the forum, and what y'all recommended and what we've changed because of it. She said that "in the world of sick tortoises, Columbus is well off" because he can move on his own, he is alert, he can open his eyes and he is "spunky". Thank you guys for all of your help, I am so happy I found you. She also stressed the importance of sunlight. We're in Arkansas so it's cold out but on clear, sunny days to we are to take him out for about 15 minutes three times weekly to soak up those rays! (He is not to leave our warm hand, and only on those sunny days).She said that it should be around a month before he completely recovers but he's on his way! I cannot thank y'all enough!

Side note: There was a newspaper clipping in the lobby of our new vet helping and rehabilitating a tortoise with a cracked shell in the sherwood times a couple years ago.

Well hopefully you have found a good reptile vet, those are hard to find! I really hope your tortoise gets better. And yeah I agree that if he is moving around he is better off than most other sick hatchlings, but you still need to take it seriously even if it's not as bad as it could be. Good luck and keep us updated.

Central Arkansas
Well hopefully you have found a good reptile vet, those are hard to find! I really hope your tortoise gets better. And yeah I agree that if he is moving around he is better off than most other sick hatchlings, but you still need to take it seriously even if it's not as bad as it could be. Good luck and keep us updated.

Oh, I'm definitely taking it seriously. If he doesn't eat in a week we're to take him back to see her but she didn't get any shots scheduled like the old vet did every 4 days and she actually TALKED TO US. She said this will be a slow process, she even had a turtle she was treating there when we got there! there's still going to be improvements (of course, he's sick!), but I feel as if we're on the right track now and it's a big relief! I still owe you all and everyone on the forum in general a great many thanks!!

Central Arkansas
Update: He's definitely feeling better! His top shell is harder (bottom she'll is still soft but is hardening), he's getting his appetite back (and oh my goodness, it is big!), his eyes are so much more open, he's pooping more, he's gaining weight, he's walking around and exploring more (I made the substrate hilly to help entertain him), and he kept climbing on his second house so I had to take it out (we found him on top of it a few times and on his back twice so, we were shaken up and it had to go!). He's still clicking but not as much and there are no bubbles! We're still not completely out of the dog house but he's doing wonderfully! Thank you guys!!!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421943528.313455.jpg