Sulcata hide

shelledfrens

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville ky
ive seen a lot of people cutting those clay flower pots in half and using those as a hide for tortoises. Sometimes also putting dirt around and on top. Is that a good hide, If so how do you cut those in half cleanly? Ive seen them whole and buried slightly, but how will the tortoise dig if there's something blocking it. I haven't seen any tutorials just pictures, so here's one. Thanks in advance ✨

beb4e4e9c9e51340e796a0660e7d11ee.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Clay flower pots CAN be cut. But it is quite difficult. They can be fractured (broken) in two, but the shape will not be right. Best to partially bury it.
You can also use large plastic pipe or any manner of things.
I'm guessing that because that is not a picture of a Sulcata, that that is not your enclosure?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I was buying those prefabricated resin or whatever material they use reptile caves from petstores only they were not lasting long bcs my babies were growing pretty fast. Clay pots are nice, I used some at one point too but overtime found they were ... too... "exposed" in there! You know the "mouth of the hide", the opening being so wide, my babies were usually choosing their other hides. Little torts are programmed to hide and hide well. They are food for bigger animals so building the enclosure think of giving yours few different options of different hides in few different spots, let her make her own choice

shelledfrens

Louisville ky
Clay flower pots CAN be cut. But it is quite difficult. They can be fractured (broken) in two, but the shape will not be right. Best to partially bury it.
You can also use large plastic pipe or any manner of things.
I'm guessing that because that is not a picture of a Sulcata, that that is not your enclosure?

No that is not mine! It's the only picture I could find of the flower pot. I do agree it'd be quite difficult to cut a flower pot. Thanks for your input!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
ive seen a lot of people cutting those clay flower pots in half and using those as a hide for tortoises. Sometimes also putting dirt around and on top. Is that a good hide, If so how do you cut those in half cleanly? Ive seen them whole and buried slightly, but how will the tortoise dig if there's something blocking it. I haven't seen any tutorials just pictures, so here's one. Thanks in advance ✨

beb4e4e9c9e51340e796a0660e7d11ee.jpg
One more thing, your enclosure looks very pretty and you maybe able to keep it this neat looking for a while, until your baby grows bigger and bolder. The watering hole looks gorgeous with those blue marbles just be sure that they are much bigger size than could fit in your tortie's mouth. Risk of choking is a big deal with those silly torts:) I use terra-cotta pot saucer for water dish. It has been working well for me. I had one of those most shallow ones when they were tiny babies, and had it dropped into the substrate where they were "stepping slightly down" when going for their drink here Shellie is emerging from one of her hidesImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497381863.632110.jpg you can see how the edge of water dish is on level with the substrate (moss) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497382131.951659.jpg this is a good hide. I was looking for my old pics from those hatchling days but can't find any, this picture belongs to one of our members, @pfara. Alma, I hope you don't mind:) I hope this helps you. I'll try to find some better pics of my hides for you

shelledfrens

Louisville ky
I was buying those prefabricated resin or whatever material they use reptile caves from petstores only they were not lasting long bcs my babies were growing pretty fast. Clay pots are nice, I used some at one point too but overtime found they were ... too... "exposed" in there! You know the "mouth of the hide", the opening being so wide, my babies were usually choosing their other hides. Little torts are programmed to hide and hide well. They are food for bigger animals so building the enclosure think of giving yours few different options of different hides in few different spots, let her make her own choice
Well said! Thanks for the info!

shelledfrens

Louisville ky
One more thing, your enclosure looks very pretty and you maybe able to keep it this neat looking for a while, until your baby grows bigger and bolder. The watering hole looks gorgeous with those blue marbles just be sure that they are much bigger size than could fit in your tortie's mouth. Risk of choking is a big deal with those silly torts:) I use terra-cotta pot saucer for water dish. It has been working well for me. I had one of those most shallow ones when they were tiny babies, and had it dropped into the substrate where they were "stepping slightly down" when going for their drink here Shellie is emerging from one of her hidesView attachment 210196 you can see how the edge of water dish is on level with the substrate (moss) View attachment 210197 this is a good hide. I was looking for my old pics from those hatchling days but can't find any, this picture belongs to one of our members, @pfara. Alma, I hope you don't mind:) I hope this helps you. I'll try to find some better pics of my hides for you
Oh no no, this isn't mine! I put the pic there for the flower pot! I totally agree with the marble thing, definitely not safe!