Sulcata humidity needs

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Its not a matter of "toughness". Its a matter of needing humidity to prevent pyramiding.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If the tortoise is still growing, it needs some humidity.

It can be in an open air enclosure from day one if the air in the room is warm and humid like in a reptile room or tropical fish room.

Flywithjesus562

Long Beach
Its not a matter of "toughness". Its a matter of needing humidity to prevent pyramiding.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If the tortoise is still growing, it needs some humidity.

It can be in an open air enclosure from day one if the air in the room is warm and humid like in a reptile room or tropical fish room.

I guess a better question would be at what age would sulcata need less humidity. If I’m doing my research correctly I do understand they need humidity at all times but also they need less and less as they get older.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

I currently keep my RF in a closed chamber. He is about 7 inches. His enclosure is in the same room with 2 - 75gallon and a 55gallon open top aquariums. The humidity stays around 75% constant. I was thinking of building a larger open top table. Do you think this will cause pyramiding, or should I still stick with closed chamber?

Attachments

• 20180520_190427.jpg
    20180520_190427.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 18

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I guess a better question would be at what age would sulcata need less humidity. If I’m doing my research correctly I do understand they need humidity at all times but also they need less and less as they get older.
I keep them indoors in closed chambers until they reach about 8-10". At that point I move them outside, but its really much too dry up here near Magic Mountain. The best I can do is let them burrow in summer and humidify their outdoor night boxes for the rest of the year. When they are out walking around in the sun, there is nothing I can do about the dryness. In your area, keeping it warm enough will be the issue.