Sulcata Indoor Enclosure

Pák

Location (City and/or State)
Esztergom
Hi, I just want to show my indoor sulcata tortoise setup. It can be useful for someone who are planing to build one.

Its an 'L' shape, because its made from 2 individual enclosoure, wich i buy second hand from its previous owner.

Dimensions: cm: 150x220-80x150 = 2 square meter; feet: 59"x87"-32"x59" = ~22 square feet. Height is 50cm (20").

Its made from pinewood, wich looks nice, but maintaining the humidity is a bit harder. If you choose this material you need to watch your room temps as well. If you go in the low 70'-s you need more ventillation for the enclosure, and mist the substrate several time a day, unless you are unable to maintain 80% humidity or the pienwood wont last long. If the room temp is the same as the enclosure you will have zero problem with 80% humidity.

Costs: ~500$
  • second hand enclosure: 2x125$
  • Lightning + heat: 210$
  • Plants: 25$
  • Substrate +etc: 15$
I started with only one, but after 6 months i needed to upgrade because of his growht. Luckily there was one more of the same enclosure. :D. Before my sulcata will go full time outside i want to double his space once more. One more sidenote: as he grow higher i need to raise the lights to not burn his carapace, but right now its fine as it is.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks great.
How old/big is your sully? Looks like he may need to move outside for good next year or if you have cold winters, will need a new winter home next year.
Hmmm, what to do with the empty enclosure? Another tortoise?

Pák

Esztergom
8 month old ~400g. I want to stay him inside as long az possible, to grow in more controlled conditions.
I am thinking for a group of spider tortoises for the future, but first I have to convince my woman 😅