Sulcata (looking to buy yearling)

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Where’s the best place to buy a one year old sulcata?

You'll be able to find a Sulcata Breeder here on the forum. I don't know of any, but I'm sure @Tom and @Yvonne G will be able to help.

Also, online sites such as "The Tortoise Supply" or "Arizona Tortoise Compound" are great places as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most breeders want to move the babies out as soon as it is safe to do so. To raise a baby for a whole year, soaking and feeding daily and paying for all that electricity, you'd have to sell them for $500 each to not take a loss. There is no incentive to raise a baby for a whole year and then sell it.

No harm in looking for one, but don't be surprised if all you find is adults for free and babies for sale. Many times on this forum someone will post a free sulcata up for adoption. You might find a young one that way.

I suspect you are looking for an older one because of the bad experience you just had with your recent baby. Your tortoises age and size were not the problem. Lack of correct care was the problem. If you buy from someone who starts babies correctly, you won't have that issue again.

I recommend these guys:

Austin @Arizona Sulcata
Lance @Lancecham
Mark @Markw84

If anyone knows of anyone else starting babies with daily soaks and warm, humid, mostly indoor conditions, I'll be happy to recommend them too.

JEnio2

Frederick, MD
Does anyone know a breeder close to Maryland? How hard is it to care for a hatchling compared to an established adult?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Does anyone know a breeder close to Maryland? How hard is it to care for a hatchling compared to an established adult?

You should probably start your own new thread, BUT, if you follow the Care Sheet and adhere to temperatures, lighting and heat requirements - hatchlings are easy. We got ours from @Lancecham (shipped from CA) - with zero issues. Plus, you get the bonus of watching them grow up!

JEnio2

Frederick, MD
You should probably start your own new thread, BUT, if you follow the Care Sheet and adhere to temperatures, lighting and heat requirements - hatchlings are easy. We got ours from @Lancecham (shipped from CA) - with zero issues. Plus, you get the bonus of watching them grow up!
Sorry. New here. Wasnt having luck finding a thread mentioning this area.