Sulcata nesting questions

Always pondering

Location (City and/or State)
Central California
Hi All,
Our Timmi has been digging nests and laying eggs every 4 weeks since the very first day we brought her home in October. She was with a male for about 6 months before we got her. That very first day, it kind of freaked us out. We didn't know what to do. She started the nest late in the afternoon and by 8pm was still digging. It was getting cold and we decided to put her in her night box. Of course there were eggs in there the next morning. The following months weren't too bad because she started them early an the weather wasn't too bad. She put two of them inside a little green house we have just outside her box.
Which brings me to last night. Yesterday was exactly 4 weeks from last month and she started her nest after several practice starts. Its been raining a lot here and once she got started the wife and I put an ez-up over her and hooked up a heat lamp right over her. We felt bad for her because the hole kept filling with water. By 7:30pm it got down in the 40's and she was hardly moving, no eggs yet. We decided to put her back in her box since she was out since about noon. There were no eggs this time.

Are we doing the right thing by putting her in her box like this? Is there a way to "convince" her to build a nest in a certain place? It would be nice if we can control the environment she'll be in for such a long time. We've had nights down in the 20's.

Its going to rain through Sunday it looks like, so not sure if she'll try it again.
Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance
Rich

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you interrupt them laying, the potential for egg binding is high. I leave mine alone. If its cold I hang heat over them like you did. If it floods in that area, use sand bags or make dirt berms to stop it. Do whatever you have to do to let her finish.

She probably won't lay next year without a male.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My sulcata has been laying as well. Last clutch on Jan 31, and she was done before it got late. I actually caught the eggs as she laid, and then partially filled in the nest for her to speed things up when she was done laying. I let her go through some covering behaviors for about 30 minutes, then put her back in her night box as it was getting cold. Where in "central Calif" are you? Must be up in the foothills to have it in the 20°'s as its been a warmer winter so far.

You can soften up some soil to about 16" deep and leave a little depression with the freshly dug soil. Sometimes they will like that spot with the fresh soil and it will make the nest digging go much faster. That is what I did this last time. I do know the area she tends to favor for nesting and they do seem to like a place warmed by sun this time of year. A slight slope facing south close to a bush is a normal selection site as well. This also means it will not flood in that location which would be a problem.

If they have simply started the body pit, digging with the front legs, I have interrupted them before it it was quite late and cold. I really don't like to interrupt. If they have turned around and started the nest chamber - digging with back legs - I never interrupt. I have put a CHE and basking light over her a few times as well when it was late and cold and she was well started on the nest.

Always pondering

Central California
When you interrupt them laying, the potential for egg binding is high. I leave mine alone. If its cold I hang heat over them like you did. If it floods in that area, use sand bags or make dirt berms to stop it. Do whatever you have to do to let her finish.

She probably won't lay next year without a male.

The nest area wasn't flooding but the ground it so saturated it would fill after we emptied it. I'll have to figure out a way to get more heat around her then. I hope she'll be ok, raining a lot today again and she hasn't taken a step outside yet. I hope you're right about next year.

Thanks Tom for the reply we'll try to come up with a dry warm solution before the next time she does this.

Always pondering

Central California
My sulcata has been laying as well. Last clutch on Jan 31, and she was done before it got late. I actually caught the eggs as she laid, and then partially filled in the nest for her to speed things up when she was done laying. I let her go through some covering behaviors for about 30 minutes, then put her back in her night box as it was getting cold. Where in "central Calif" are you? Must be up in the foothills to have it in the 20°'s as its been a warmer winter so far.

You can soften up some soil to about 16" deep and leave a little depression with the freshly dug soil. Sometimes they will like that spot with the fresh soil and it will make the nest digging go much faster. That is what I did this last time. I do know the area she tends to favor for nesting and they do seem to like a place warmed by sun this time of year. A slight slope facing south close to a bush is a normal selection site as well. This also means it will not flood in that location which would be a problem.

If they have simply started the body pit, digging with the front legs, I have interrupted them before it it was quite late and cold. I really don't like to interrupt. If they have turned around and started the nest chamber - digging with back legs - I never interrupt. I have put a CHE and basking light over her a few times as well when it was late and cold and she was well started on the nest.

Hi Mark and thanks for the suggestions. Yup, we live in the foothills north east of Fresno. I have another bulb for a heat lamp but need the receptacle. I might have to get a CHE instead though, it might provide more heat. But unless I put some kind of walls up, not much heat stays in there. Have you left her out all night when she's been doing the nesting thing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have an old wire chair. . . the seat is like strong chicken wire. If nesting continues on into colder time i position that chair near her and position a 250 watt poultry brooder light so it keeps her warm, but doesn't burn her. Once the eggs have all been deposited and she's covering, I just put her into the warm shed. She continues to 'cover' the nest inside the shed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For future nesting you might want to think about making a mini version of a three sided duck blind with a rod over the top for hanging a light

Always pondering

Central California
I have an old wire chair. . . the seat is like strong chicken wire. If nesting continues on into colder time i position that chair near her and position a 250 watt poultry brooder light so it keeps her warm, but doesn't burn her. Once the eggs have all been deposited and she's covering, I just put her into the warm shed. She continues to 'cover' the nest inside the shed.

Thanks Yvonne, I will look into that duck blind. We will have to come up with something like that.