Sulcata poop q's

melissah

Hello and happy holidays to everyone : )
I'm wondering how long it is normal for my love to not poop....? He's eating fine moving around normally but hasn't pooped in about a week now and I'm getting worried. We do soaks but nothings coming out :/ he eats kale, dandelion and romaine lettuce, still likes his cuttle bone and attacked some watermelon yesterday but still no poop.... should I be worried? Is there something else I should give him? How do I help my love? Pleaseeeeee helpppppp!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can put him into the human bath tub with the water deep enough to reach the middle of his sides, where the top shell meets the bottom shell. Leave him there for a half hour or so. Scrambling around in a large tub of water never fails to cause an eruption of poop!

melissah

That's where I always soak him, UT it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I even did it twice yesterday hoping it would do the trick but no. :/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That's where I always soak him, UT it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I even did it twice yesterday hoping it would do the trick but no. :/
How deep is the water and how long do you leave him?

Make it an hour if necessary. Just change the water when it gets cool.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Yes, but how long do you leave him in the tub? The longer you leave him, the more restless he's going to get. You want him to get restless and try to escape. Like I said, scrambling around, trying to escape, is what causes the poop to come out.

melissah

Ohhhhhh got it, and all along I've been trying to get him to relax in there. I usually leave him 30 minutes, today I'll do longer. I make sure the waters warm every few minutes and usually he's just laying soaking so maybe leaving him longer with get it out. Thank you guys again!

melissah

Ohhhhhh got it, and all along I've been trying to get him to relax in there. I usually leave him 30 minutes, today I'll do longer. I make sure the waters warm every few minutes and usually he's just laying soaking so maybe leaving him longer with get it out. Thank you guys again!

Attachments

• 20161226_105142.jpg
    20161226_105142.jpg
    871.9 KB · Views: 21

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Put him in a large plastic tub with a towel for substrate and take him for a car ride. That usually does it too.

Also, are you sure he hasn't pooped and eaten it?

Also, part of your problem is a lack of fiber. Grocery store greens should only be a last resort. I understand it is a necessity in the winter for some people, but steps must be taken to add fiber and amend the fiber content. Add chopped grass, which can be bought in pet stores and many grocery stores, or add blended and rehydrated horse hay. You can also use soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets. Mazuri is another good option.

If you must use grocery store foods avoid lettuces and favor instead endive and escarole as a base. Use lots of other stuff for variety. This might also help: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/