Sulcata Question

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I’ve come across a sulcata hatchling for sale. It is a “het albino”. What’s the difference between het for ivory and a albino het? Or are they both the same?
It is on the left:
IMG_1516824236.893790.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ivories have dark eyes, but a light colored body. Albinoes look the same but lack the eye pigment.

"Het" (Heterozygous) for albino means that one parent was an albino, but the baby looks "normal". Some percentage of the babies from the "het" animal should then be albino.

Buyer beware. There is no way to tell if a baby is a het by looking. Some humans are truthful and honest, and other humans will lie, cheat and steal your money.

Regardless of whether it is a het or not, I would still want to know if the baby was soaked daily and housed mostly indoors in a warm humid closed chamber. If not, I wouldn't buy it.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Ivories have dark eyes, but a light colored body. Albinoes look the same but lack the eye pigment.

"Het" (Heterozygous) for albino means that one parent was an albino, but the baby looks "normal". Some percentage of the babies from the "het" animal should then be albino.

Buyer beware. There is no way to tell if a baby is a het by looking. Some humans are truthful and honest, and other humans will lie, cheat and steal your money.

Regardless of whether it is a het or not, I would still want to know if the baby was soaked daily and housed mostly indoors in a warm humid closed chamber. If not, I wouldn't buy it.

I’m sure they are honest because they sell 100% albino hatchlings too (as seen in the picture). Do you know how much hets go for? I was able to negotiate 2 for $500. Not sure if that’s over priced or a good deal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m sure they are honest because they sell 100% albino hatchlings too (as seen in the picture). Do you know how much hets go for? I was able to negotiate 2 for $500. Not sure if that’s over priced or a good deal.
Did you read my last sentence?

Be careful. Dry started babies often end in tragedy.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Did you read my last sentence?

Be careful. Dry started babies often end in tragedy.

Yes, they are soaked daily and are “well started” seller said. Do you know the price range? And I do have a regular baby that was started dry, he’s about 8 months old now. Any suggestions, what tragedies could possibly happen? He has a little pyramiding but I do soak him once a day for 20-30min. His diet is mostly grass.

jjaymeza

Fort Worth
Just out of curiosity I know this is an older post but do you have any information on that breeder I’m considering getting one myself.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Just out of curiosity I know this is an older post but do you have any information on that breeder I’m considering getting one myself.

I don’t have their # anymore because I’ve cleared my contacts since then. I’ll let you know once they put up a new ad on Craigslist. Keep an eye on Craigslist under Orange County, CA.