Sulcata Scute Lifting

WaffleWizard

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi all! I’m new to the group and looking for some advice before I haul my big guy off to the vet which he hates.
My Sulcata buddy Waffles has his front middle scute lifting off around the side. Didn’t want to mess with it too much but it seems bouncy so still attached underneath and on some sides. He is about 8 yrs old and lives full time outside in his own yard space. I feel like he might of injured himself on something because he still tries to get into spots he doesn’t fit in well and maybe hit it when he couldn’t turn around (I’ve closed off the possible problem spot in the yard). He has an enclosure but hates it so since it’s summer in CA he sleeps in his burrow he made himself. He’s eating normally and seems fine otherwise. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• F4E524EC-114D-47E2-9F4C-B75D8253F582.jpeg
    F4E524EC-114D-47E2-9F4C-B75D8253F582.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 10

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The most common cause for this is because the tortoise sits under a hot light that's too close to his shell and the excess heat has cooked (burned) the sensitive new growth.

WaffleWizard

CA
The most common cause for this is because the tortoise sits under a hot light that's too close to his shell and the excess heat has cooked (burned) the sensitive new growth.

Thanks for the quick reply. He actually doesn’t use any lamps currently and I’ve only recently noticed this so I don’t think it’s an old injury. Could too much sun do this? Is there anything the vet can do or is this something that will just heal over time?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Has he ever been under a light? Damage from sitting under a too close light doesn't appear right away. For example, if you used a light this past winter now would be when you would notice the burn.

It doesn't look fresh. And there's no treatment for it. Once the new growth is damaged like that there's nothing to be done. The scute may eventually peel off, or it may not. You just have to wait and see.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the quick reply. He actually doesn’t use any lamps currently and I’ve only recently noticed this so I don’t think it’s an old injury. Could too much sun do this? Is there anything the vet can do or is this something that will just heal over time?
I second @Yvonne G 's thoughts on the matter. What sort of housing do you use for him in winter? What type of heating element or bulb are you using in winter? What part of CA are you in? You will get different advice for Palm Springs vs. Playa Del Rey.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would say that regardless of the root cause of the injury, there’s really no reason to upset your Waffles & take him to a vet. Nothing can really been done. I think personally I would wiggle it a bit and see just how loose it is. If it’s really loose, it might be best to help it off, give the area a good cleaning, & dab on a bit of neosporin. You face the prospect of your tort getting it caught & ripping/tearing it off & making things worse.

Good luck.