Sulcata shed heating

CroutonDave

Hey, I am new to this forum and wanted to know what are some option/ideas anything that has worked for y'all in regards to sulcata enclosure heating. I have a 3 yr old sulcata named Crouton Dave :) that will be graduating from his modified doghouse to a 10×12 barn style shed for the winter. I am having issues finding good heating devices that will keep him warm thought the winter. I live in South Carolina so our winters don't get too terribly bad. Any and all opinions are welcome!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I live in Chicago much colder then you and besides each tort having a basking light for day time they also have a Che for the nights and a portable oil filled radiator to heat their 20x8 shed. I also installed a ceiling fan I put on low to kick the heat from the ceiling back to the floor/tort level. The radiator is on a thermostat.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I also use an oil radiator heater and Kane mats in my outdoor boxes for nights. On a thermostat.

CroutonDave

OK. I've been kinda scared to use the mats cuz I have heard about torts getting burned by laying on it too long. If its on a thermostat wouldn't it cut off after so long? I'm just worried that in the middle of the night or while I'm not at home his lights or heater will cut off for some reason (whether the electricity cuts off or a thermostat cuts it off) and he will get cold and hibernate. I figured out how to put at least one pic of crouton up here as my profile pic :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Regular heat mats are dangerous, the Kane mats and pig blankets have internal thermostats that keep them from getting too hot. On a thermostat, When the desired temp is reached, it turns off. Then comes back on when cools a bit. Just like the thermostat in your house. That is what you want.
Electricity going out is a problem. I am looking at generators.

CroutonDave

O OK. Yes maybe I need to look I to the Kane mats too. Would he attempt to chew on it? Or a pig blanket. I have a small generator at least enough to keep a couple lamps on and/or a heater. I have considered propane heaters but then I'm worried about oxygen depletion...ugh!! I can't win!!! Lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would build a subfloors with doors about three feet high . Install power outlets ,heater ,and a lights . This way you're only heating what the tortoises need not the shed . That's what I did for my reds .