Sulcata shed

Judytort

Hey guys and gals. Haven't posted in a while. So iv just bought a new shed which is 12ft x 8ft fully insulated shed. This will be used as a normal garden shed and a sulcata house. My sully is nearly a year old and in the next year I'm planning on having him live in the shed all year round. I have done a quick sketch of what I plan to do and would like some input from other sully owners.
Does the set up look Ok?
Will I need any additional heating other than what iv put?
So let me know what you think. I' up for any suggestions or criticisms

Attachments

• 20180320_104938.jpg
    20180320_104938.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Thst looks good. You may need heat outside of the night box besides the light.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Looks nice! You will be glad you are going big I started smaller and am on my 6th shed haha what is you climent like someone close to you will
Know better if you are going to need more heat

Judytort

I' in the UK. So typical British weather. Never know what it will do 1 day to the next. We do get some very nice days during the spring and summer. We had a very nice summer last year

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it is, yes. Full grown he may be about 2' across, so the door may have to be enlarged eventually. And if he DOES outgrow it, you can just do away with it altogether. I don't have a night box for Dudley. He just sleeps in the shed on his pig blanket.

Dudley's rebuild 2-1-15 e.jpg

I have since moved the pig blanket off the wall and onto the floor, attaching it firmly so he can't move it.

Judytort

That was my worry. Building one then having to build another one when he out grew it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size sulcata are we talking about? At a year old this might work if temps stay warm enough. How well insulated is the floor. Heat the air up to 80 degrees and then check the temperature of the floor when its cold outside in winter.

This is a giant tropical animal. According to the numbers on your diagram, he will have a roughly 5x5 foot area, plus the night box area. Outside isn't an option for most of the year where you are. How many days a year are sunny and over 27 degrees C there? These tortoises get very large and they need a lot of room to move. They also need warm temperatures. Your idea might work when he is a baby, but it won't work for more than another year or two.

Also, what else will be stored in the shed? Here in the states we store lawn mowers, extra gasoline, paint, and stuff like that with lots of toxic fumes. What will be stored in your shed?

Judytort

Hey Tom. He' only just got the 1000 grams mark. My plan will be to get this set up over this year and next winter measure the temps to make sure it's all good then put her in there next summer. So a lot of dry runs so to speak will be done before she moves in.
The idea will be that once shes fully warmed up in the morning, to go for a graze then go back in to warm up etc. I know a few sully owners over here that do the same.
There will be tables and chairs, my daughter's garden toys and such stored in there. The lawn mower and any other things like that are stored in a storage box on my patio. So no worries in that respect.

Judytort

She free roams the house and our reptile building quite a lot during winter

Judytort

This is the shed. Although the layout will be different

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180320-201623.png
    Screenshot_20180320-201623.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 45