sulcata shed.

tony2sheds

Hi,all i have been converting a 8x8 shed into new sulcata home its fully insulated double glazed and has a another 4x4 old dog kennel inside that also fully insulated. i had a test run the other day temp inside main shed was 85 but i noticed on the floor was only 60,it has a corner basking area where two 100 uva uvb bulbs reside so temp pretty high there,any ideas on how to higher the surrounding ground temps please.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Put down that sheet insulation (styrofoam). Then put plywood over the insulation. On top of that you can either add substrate or buy some horse stall mats. They are 4x6 and about 3/4" thick - VERY heavy. I put them down on the floors of all my tortoise sheds.

This serves as proof to those who want to allow their tortoise to roam freely over the floor. You have a shed that's going to be dedicated to a tortoise and the ambient air temperature is nice and warm, and yet the floor is cold. I've been trying to tell people this for years.

Once you insulate and cover the floor, it should be better for the tortoise.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also add fans to push the heat down . That's what I do plus like Yvonne said add substrate .

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
This is probably one of the reasons we don't have high ceilings in our tortoise boxes.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob's floor had that pink stuff between 2 sheets of plywood, and I could never get it over 75. He also had baskings lights and a pig blanket in his sleeping box. It stayed an ambient temp of 85 in the cold winter 100 under the lights. but I think the floor needs to have the stall mats like Yvonne says, and that's what I am working on now. Wilco puts them on sale every so often for $30. a 4X6. I need 5 or 6 for Bob's shed.
I think that a big Sulcata who lives in the North needs lots of inside warm room to pace when it's iced over and below 0 outside. . Bob's shed is 12'x20' so he could pace off that energy in the winter....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My shed floor is thick cement with insulation over that and then plywood and then rubber shower floor liner. My old shed had two layers of floor with insulation in between. The only way I have been able to keep the floor as warm as the rest is with a ceiling fan on low 24\7 in the winter and i have the thermostat only 4 inches off the floor. I live in Chicago. If you don't get as cold as me, you might get away with less.