Sulcata Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrobert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hi, I got a Sulcata from a gal off of craigslist this past fall. I am just a little concerned about his shell. He was apparently purchased from Wisc. Dells as a baby 11 years ago. Ive looked up Sulcatas with pyramiding and haven't seen any quite like mine. He doesn't seem to be growing very tall, kinda reminds me of a snapping turtle. Please help me with any valuable info on how I can stop it from getting any worse. but Im pretty sure it was getting too much protein and im not sure exactly where or how it was housed before I picked him up. she would not let me see his enclosure. ive been keeping him on a primarily grass hay diet with occasional veggies and seldom fruit. Thanks!!! :tort:

Attachments

• S1150001.JPG
    S1150001.JPG
    956 KB · Views: 71
  • S1150002.JPG
    S1150002.JPG
    932.8 KB · Views: 70
  • S1150003.JPG
    S1150003.JPG
    884.7 KB · Views: 64
  • S1150004.JPG
    S1150004.JPG
    968.8 KB · Views: 64
  • S1150005.JPG
    S1150005.JPG
    990.6 KB · Views: 61

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.:). There isn't much you can do about his shell at this point. However, get him the proper enclosure, diet and water every day and hopefully he will live a lo g happy life.

Btw, I think I seen this tort on Craigslist last year. If its the same one, she kept him in a way too small aquarium. I tried to educate her and was going to bring the tort up to Michigan to a member up there that rescues. The owner was kind of flighty and never returned emails after setting up a pic up date and time.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Welcome to the forum!

Thats a good example of metabolic bone disease (MBD). As Barb mentioned, the deformation is not reversable. However, a healthy diet with lots of calcium, clean water, and lots of sunshine (Vit. D) will greatly improve his quality of life.

scrobert

5 Year Member
Minnesota
thanks. was it in minnesota that you saw it? she had 2 of them she was finding homes for. i took them both but the other one is taller with pyramiding, looked like typical pyramiding, was just concerned wih him cuz hes nice and wide but not very tall at all!

wellington said:
Hello and Welcome.:). There isn't much you can do about his shell at this point. However, get him the proper enclosure, diet and water every day and hopefully he will live a lo g happy life.

Btw, I think I seen this tort on Craigslist last year. If its the same one, she kept him in a way too small aquarium. I tried to educate her and was going to bring the tort up to Michigan to a member up there that rescues. The owner was kind of flighty and never returned emails after setting up a pic up date and time.

scrobert

5 Year Member
Minnesota
thanks. yeah, i figured that. just wasnt sure if hes ganna be able to grow to his maximum potential or not. if he'll eventually get taller or if hes ganna stay flatter like he is

mctlong said:
Welcome to the forum!

Thats a good example of metabolic bone disease (MBD). As Barb mentioned, the deformation is not reversable. However, a healthy diet with lots of calcium, clean water, and lots of sunshine (Vit. D) will greatly improve his quality of life.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

No, his shell is never going to be more domed. It will always have that "flat" look to it. But I must compliment you on how "pretty" the tortoise looks. He is so clean and shiny. Even his skin looks clean. Just keep feeding him the correct diet, allow him to graze on weeds and grasses with plenty of exercise and sunshine. You are now giving him the life he has deserved.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
scrobert said:
thanks. was it in minnesota that you saw it? she had 2 of them she was finding homes for. i took them both but the other one is taller with pyramiding, looked like typical pyramiding, was just concerned wih him cuz hes nice and wide but not very tall at all!

wellington said:

Nope, sorry. I thought because it was purchased from WI Dells, that you got it out of Wisconsin.

scrobert

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Yvonne G said:
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

No, his shell is never going to be more domed. It will always have that "flat" look to it. But I must compliment you on how "pretty" the tortoise looks. He is so clean and shiny. Even his skin looks clean. Just keep feeding him the correct diet, allow him to graze on weeds and grasses with plenty of exercise and sunshine. You are now giving him the life he has deserved.

thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.