Sulcata skin issue?

Happyphantom1978

My sulcata seems really healthy...eats well, goes to the bathroom, is very active. However, I have noticed his skin is whiter around his eyes...is this normal?? Probably paranoid, but want to make sure he stays healthy!

20160530_192540.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
It does look very dry and almost... Crusty... I'd put him on regular soaking schedule (daily for 15-20 min) and st the end of each bath get clean soft cotton cloth, wet it in warm water and start gently wipping that area. It almost looks like it's layers of dried up dead skin that have for some reason not shedded off. I'd also try EVCO (cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil on that moist cloth, just to soften things up. I clean my babies faces like that with each bath. They are used to it, closing their eyes and just waiting for the "facial" to be over:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When we say you need to soak your tortoise, we mean to put him into a small tub/bowl that he can't climb out of, with warm water that comes up to the middle of his sides, and leave him there for at least 15 minutes. If he scrambles to get out, too bad. He stays there (daily) for at least 15 minutes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, forget to answer your question. Tortoises that are kept too dry show this white around their eyes. Moisten the substrate so the tortoise lives in a moist environment, and soak him daily for 15 minutes.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I agree 100% on daily soaks , I still soak Speedy for an hour every day and squirt him every few hours outside ! Looking at the white on the growth rings I might be inclined to think that the water has a lot of minerals in it. I have this situation with Speedy , you can see the white on his shell and his head looks that way to an extent . I know that I have taken a toothbrush to his shell during his soaks and that white does come off ! He doesn't like the brushing so I have given that up , since it doesn't seem to be hurting him.

100_8266.jpg