Sulcata substrate eater HELP

Kamerus88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
hey everyone

adopted a rescued sulcata hatchling about 3 months ago. He's seen the vet twice and has been in general good health. Fecals have been negative for any mal parasites and his appetite ranges from monstrous to 0. Ive given him a single enema with clearance from the vet (i work at a wildlife rehab) and that certainly seemed to unclog him and got him eating much better the last time this happened. I have switched him from coco fiber to peat moss and it appears he still incidentally and purposefully ingests the stuff when eating.

Any other suggestions for substrate?

He is in an outdoor tub receiving direct sunlight with a dark hide and humid hide in his enclosure. temps vary from high 70s in the am to high 80s in the afternoon. He's housed inside at night and is soaked/misted 2-3 times daily for background info.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try giving him Miner-all. It's made by Sticky Tongue Farms and contains more minerals than just calcium.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like orchid bark for substrate, and are you feeding him in a dish? I like to use terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate for food and water.

Kamerus88

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Tom said:
I like orchid bark for substrate, and are you feeding him in a dish? I like to use terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate for food and water.

Yes we are tom. Thanks for the suggestion. We got him to pass a bowel movement thanks to an enema and have given him fluids. He's been acting very lethargic for the past couple days since we suspected the blockage. Not eating well at all. Wonder if there might be an underlying issue.

Any idea on the general weights of 4-6 month tortoises? In the months we've had him he has only gained around 4-5 grams and is sitting around 45g as of last weigh in.

splntrdhands

Our sulcs are small compared to some on this forum. But at 6 months, Rainbow Dash was 3 oz (85g) and Applejack was 2.6 oz (73.7g).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you with temps of high 70s in the morning outdoors?

How are you housing and heating him indoors?

I suspect the temperature may be too low. Pics of the tortoise and enclosures would help us to understand better.

Kamerus88

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Tom said:
Where are you with temps of high 70s in the morning outdoors?

How are you housing and heating him indoors?

I suspect the temperature may be too low. Pics of the tortoise and enclosures would help us to understand better.

We just redid the enclosure in orchid bark like you suggested and he's been moved inside due to a cold front that that has come through. We live in southern florida were morning temps vary from Hugh end 60s to 70s and our afternoon temps usually range from the low to high 80s. When being kept outside he didn't have additional light supplementation but had a small heat pad under a hide spot on the so he could Thermoregulate. Now I've added at. 60watt UVA/heat bulb over a warm side of his cage and will add a UVB bulb to facilitate a proper spectrum. Temps are sitting around 85degrees Fahrenheit. I. Have a larger 100 watt bulb that brings the temp up yo around 103 which I figured was a bit high for such a small tortoise.

Good news is he produced a large fecal sample today and seems quite a bit brighter than previously. Hoping he starts snacking during graze time very soon!

Kamerus88

5 Year Member
Louisiana
image.jpg

These are recent photos if the little guy

image.jpg
Kamerus88 said:
These are recent photos if the little guy

Last edited by a moderator:

wbrown1st

Try soaking her in warm water, every morning.
Mine never had trouble pooping in the water.