Sulcata tails

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sherman, my older Sulcata hatchling has a normal tail, but Cricket, my younger Sulcata hatchling, has a tiny little stub for a tail.

I noticed it when I first got him, but am just curious as to why that is? Could it just be part of his deformities?

Cricket- (Please excuse his dirty body; he was playing outside. :p )

CricketandElmonew.jpg

CricketandElmo009new.jpg

Sherman (older picture and different angle, but you can still see/compare)-

Tortoisenewandstuff032-1.jpg

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oh, the poor kid! That is defnitely a stubby tail, but hopefully it won't have any negative effect on Cricket's overall health or longevity.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
It looks like a biproduct of his first owners poor care. Bad husbandry all round has caused the lil creature to be overdeveloped in certain areas, like different parts grew at an abnormal rate, but he could also have been born that way.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks for the input!

I got Sherman when he was 2 months old as well. He was my first hatchling, and first Sulcata. I did not realize it until after I got him, but his shell was/is a little lopesided. Other than that and I supose the only other deformity is the underside of his shell.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That tail looks just fine to me :) The difference is most likely sexual. Cricket is most likely female and Sherman most likely male. :D

Danny

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
APBT_Fanatic said:
Other than that and I supose the only other deformity is the underside of his shell.

It looks like he was taken out of the incubator (high humidity) too soon after he hatched. They hatch really folded up in the belly, and those kinda wrinkles work themselves out in the first 4-5 days of life in high humidity. If they're pulled out of the incubator early, the wrinkles dry up and stay that way. They'll probably straighten out with time.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
APBT_Fanatic said:
Thanks for the input!

I got Sherman when he was 2 months old as well. He was my first hatchling, and first Sulcata. I did not realize it until after I got him, but his shell was/is a little lopesided. Other than that and I supose the only other deformity is the underside of his shell.

I apologize, I didnt look at the post clearly. Cricket is definitely a product of poor first owner husbandry. Sherman is a product of being removed from an incubator too soon and his shell hardening up prior to straightening out as the last poster states.

I shouldn't post up after a long day...

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
egyptiandan said:
That tail looks just fine to me :) The difference is most likely sexual. Cricket is most likely female and Sherman most likely male. :D

Danny

That would be nice... besides the fact of having to keep them separate when they are full grown!

Thanks for all the responses! The picture of Sherman is older, so I will have to compare to see if his underside has improved at all.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if they are both males.. you might STILL have to keep them seperate when older,, just for different reasons!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Laura said:
if they are both males.. you might STILL have to keep them seperate when older,, just for different reasons!

Yes, I know. I kind of planned on doing so when taking on a second Sulcata hatchling of an unknown sex. I just thought it would be nice to have a male and a female.

I also have a male CDT and two CDT hatchlings of unknown sex, so it's the same siuation there. I don't know.... it would be nice to have atleast one of each, but I am not seeking that for any reason other than "it would be nice". Haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.