Sulcata, take two!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
Well, now we have PeeWee (Herman). PeeWee is a locally bred Sulcata and is about 2 1/2 months old. He still has his little egg tooth...too cute! I was wondering if he was starting to show a bit of pyramiding or irregular growth and if that could even out in the future?

He is kept at 100-105 basking, 78-80 cool side. He prefers the warmth. Humidity can dip down to 50%, but I get it up to 70-80% most of the time. I soak him every day, give him calcium a few times a week, and he gets outside a few times a week for natural sunlight. He's so tiny...I'm afraid to put him outside full-time since he seems so fragile. But maybe I can put him outside in the enclosure during the day instead of just a little basking cage.

I'm not sure what he was fed before, but he is pickier than my last Sulcata. He will eat hibiscus leaves, hibiscus flowers, a tiny bit of clover, tender broad leaf grasses (no bahia or anything tough), not many weeds, collards, and the darkest part of romaine. Good poo, good appetite when it is something he likes.

1glv2s.jpg

xpq72x.jpg

nd37dh.jpg

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
They look like they have little elephant legs. :) If you can see the planter in the butt shot, it has has strawberries on it. Apparently he was on a mad dash to eat them and I caught him nomming the side of my ceramic planter!

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
So, does his shell look ok for a little one? At what size do you guys move your torts outside permanently? I'm a little gun shy since I recently lost my other one. Chances are it was a calcium or kidney issue. He had soft shell and I believe his urates may have been grainy when I got him and for a while thereafter.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I'm not the one to answer your question about the health of your tort but what I can tell you is that he is one cute lil guy! :)

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
HaHa thanks! I think they are all cute. I couldn't believe that someone was selling some at the expo that looked to be just hatched. They were so tiny and still egg shaped.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
To answer your original question...his shell looks fine. Soak him in warm water for 20 minutes once or twice a day! Keep the humidity up for the first year or so anyway! Natural sunlight is the best thing for him...especially if you have shady spots he can retreat to! At his age, even just 2 or three hours of sun a day is good! Try to get him to eat cactus...and provide him a cuttlebone...that'll eliminate the need for supplements! Where are you located BTW?

Status
Not open for further replies.