Sulcata temperatures

jnirvello

Location (City and/or State)
fort myers, florida
I know that I’ve written a thread like this before but it’s been soooo cold in Florida and I’m nervous for my sulcata!!!
I have a small space heater in his room and it’s on throughout the night - I am curious to know what a good night body temperature is???
It’s going down to about 35 tonight (supposedly)

Bee62

Germany
I know that I’ve written a thread like this before but it’s been soooo cold in Florida and I’m nervous for my sulcata!!!
I have a small space heater in his room and it’s on throughout the night - I am curious to know what a good night body temperature is???
It is said that the best night temp for a sulcata is 80 F and because of this I think the body temp should not be much lower than 80 F.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

What size sulcata, and is it housed indoors?

Generally I like to keep them 80 or higher, especially with humidity. And they still need a 95-100 degree basking area for smaller indoor tortoises. They can sometimes survive lower temperatures, but some get sick and die, and the low temps are not good for the survivors either. There is no "winter" where they are from.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It’s even colder here up north. Our Sully is sound asleep in his night box, all tucked in, art about 85-90. Where do you have your Sully’s room? Inside or outside?

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
Yes he is indoors! He’s onky 7 months old and he stays in his cool box when he sleeps but our house is all tile so it gets chilly!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes he is indoors! He’s onky 7 months old and he stays in his cool box when he sleeps but our house is all tile so it gets chilly!

Cool box? What is the temp in the cool box?

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
So I’ve noticed he hasn’t been eating AS much as usual while it’s been chilly here. I soak him daily to warm him up and he seems to be eating the mazuri when i give it to him. He’s been sleeping more often and hasnt gone to the bathroom much - should I be concerned???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So I’ve noticed he hasn’t been eating AS much as usual while it’s been chilly here. I soak him daily to warm him up and he seems to be eating the mazuri when i give it to him. He’s been sleeping more often and hasnt gone to the bathroom much - should I be concerned???
A tortoise won't eat unless his inner core temperature is AT LEAST 80F degrees, and warmer is better. If he can't get his inner core up to at least 80F then the food won't digest, so they don't eat.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
Oh - that’s interesting when you put it that way... I keep the space heater on as well as his light and his room is at least 77ish (maybe warmer)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh - that’s interesting when you put it that way... I keep the space heater on as well as his light and his room is at least 77ish (maybe warmer)
So, without a light or some sort of concentrated heat to sit under, your tortoise will be 77ish. They can only be as warm as the environment they're in.

Bee62

Germany
Noo ! No light at night. Torts need darkness to sleep. A space heater is also not the right way to keep your tortoise warm. You need asap a ceramic heat emitter. That means no light but warmth and you need 80 F or a little bit higher. 77 is too cold !
Such a thing I mean:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DHO7C/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
I don’t have light on at night. I don’t have a CHE bc I tried using one and I noticed he does not sleep near it. The space heater heats the whole entire room