Sulcata Tortoise Urgent Health Conern

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I am running a 60 watt CHE plugged into the wall. If it is more effective to have a thermostat I can pick one up as soon as possible though.
Yes it is, that way you can dial the temp in perfectly at night time.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Zilla and Jump Start both make good ones that you can find on Amazon. Reptile shops sell them but usually are 10-15 bucks higher.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no sand in the substrate but there is loose soil which I believe got into his eye last night. The only reason I am using it is because my reptile store highly recommended it to me since they use it on all their other reptiles.

He is in a 30 gallon tank and I am using a Zoo Med terrarium hood with a 5.0 T5 bulb that emits UVB.

I don't have experience with that bulb, but it sounds like it might be hurting his eyes. Usually the 5.0 bulbs are weak on UVB, but maybe this one isn't? Is it an "HO" type bulb? What is the distance from the tortoise?

I don't like soils as a substrate (soil seems to be at least one component of the Lugarti stuff, but apparently its a "proprietary secret"…) because you can't know what is in it. Soils that you buy in a bag from the store are made from people's composted yard waste. It might be harmless grapevine clippings and dead leaves, or it might be oleander clippings and lawn grass that was recently treated with a "weed n feed". No way to know. Best to use something else with known and trusted ingredients. Fine grade orchid bark works best for sulcatas and you can buy it in bulk for $10 at a garden center.

The sad fact is that most reptile stores have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to tortoises. Even when they do have someone working there that has actually raised a few tortoises, there are always differences in opinions about what works best. Sometimes it helps to remember that we aren't trying to sell you anything and our only interest is in helping you have a healthy tortoise and a positive tortoise keeping experience.

TCS

Okay so at night should I just try my best to keep the tank around 80-90 degrees farenheit with the CHE? And alright I'll put that in the cart right away. Thank you a bunch for the recommendation!

TCS

And does this tin foil set up work best to keep the heat and humidity in? I just put it over my lamps

IMG_2851.JPG IMG_2852.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay so at night should I just try my best to keep the tank around 80-90 degrees farenheit with the CHE? And alright I'll put that in the cart right away. Thank you a bunch for the recommendation!

80 is good.

We need electric heat to keep the temperatures "tropical", but too much electric heat dries everything out. The thermostat will make your life much easier.

In those threads you'll read about "closed chambers". Once you have one of those, your life will really get easier.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Yeah, you don't really want to run it 24/7. You don't want to cook your tortoise. I doubt a 60w will overheat your enclosure, but a thermostat will give you peace of mind.

I keep mine dialed in at 85f.

TCS

I don't have experience with that bulb, but it sounds like it might be hurting his eyes. Usually the 5.0 bulbs are weak on UVB, but maybe this one isn't? Is it an "HO" type bulb? What is the distance from the tortoise?

I don't like soils as a substrate (soil seems to be at least one component of the Lugarti stuff, but apparently its a "proprietary secret"…) because you can't know what is in it. Soils that you buy in a bag from the store are made from people's composted yard waste. It might be harmless grapevine clippings and dead leaves, or it might be oleander clippings and lawn grass that was recently treated with a "weed n feed". No way to know. Best to use something else with known and trusted ingredients. Fine grade orchid bark works best for sulcatas and you can buy it in bulk for $10 at a garden center.

The sad fact is that most reptile stores have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to tortoises. Even when they do have someone working there that has actually raised a few tortoises, there are always differences in opinions about what works best. Sometimes it helps to remember that we aren't trying to sell you anything and our only interest is in helping you have a healthy tortoise and a positive tortoise keeping experience.
Okay is there a UV light that you personally recommend? and the distance from the tortoise is about 7-9 inches. And yes it is a HO type bulb. Does this have a negative effect on his eyes? And thank you for the recommendation about the orchid bark. I will definitely pick some up at my local gardening store.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
And does this tin foil set up work best to keep the heat and humidity in? I just put it over my lamps
For now that will work, you will see a lot of different ways to do it. I would just cover the screen and then cut out the foil under the lights. one other thing is the screen does block some of the UVB from the lights that the tort does need

TCS

The tin foil looks good.
Thank you very much :) my girlfriend built it herself so she's happy to hear it. And thank you for the tip about the thermostat I will definitely pick up one now. I'm not a fan of any forms of cooked tortoise either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay is there a UV light that you personally recommend? and the distance from the tortoise is about 7-9 inches. And yes it is a HO type bulb. Does this have a negative effect on his eyes? And thank you for the recommendation about the orchid bark. I will definitely pick some up at my local gardening store.

That is awfully close for for an HO bulb.

Lets bring @leigti into this conversation. I think she has that bulb AND a UV meter. leigti, can you give us a reading under that bulb at 7-9"?

In the mean time, TCS, where do you live? In some areas you don't need indoor UV if you can get your tortoise outside for some real sunshine a couple times a week.

TCS

For now that will work, you will see a lot of different ways to do it. I would just cover the screen and then cut out the foil under the lights. one other thing is the screen does block some of the UVB from the lights that the tort does need
Oh alright. Then should I just lose the top of the lid and put down a tinfoil flap around the lights so my tortoise can suck up those UVBs?

TCS

That is awfully close for for an HO bulb.

Lets bring @leigti into this conversation. I think she has that bulb AND a UV meter. leigti, can you give us a reading under that bulb at 7-9"?
Thank you for bringing up this. It does sound very concerning. How far away should my bulb be from my tortoise? And how far away should my basking lamp be away from my tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for bringing up this. It does sound very concerning. How far away should my bulb be from my tortoise? And how far away should my basking lamp be away from my tortoise?

You set your basking lamp heigh with your thermometer. I use a flat rock under my basking lights and I want the basking area to be 95-100.

Your UV bulb height needs to be set in the same way, but you would use a UV meter instead of the thermometer. Since I've never used that particular bulb, I can't recommend a height for you. Here is the meter you should get though: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

TCS

You set your basking lamp heigh with your thermometer. I use a flat rock under my basking lights and I want the basking area to be 95-100.

Your UV bulb height needs to be set in the same way, but you would use a UV meter instead of the thermometer. Since I've never used that particular bulb, I can't recommend a height for you. Here is the meter you should get though: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Alright I'll try to get that one when my next paycheck comes in. Apart from that I will have the thermometer coming in ASAP.

TCS

One last question: My sulcata wont stop attempting to climb the walls. I heard that its because they don't see the glass. So I tried to cover it up so you cannot see through it but he still thinks he's got feet like a gecko. Should I do something about this?

Also he keeps getting dirt on his eyes. Can/should I help him wipe it off?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One last question: My sulcata wont stop attempting to climb the walls. I heard that its because they don't see the glass. So I tried to cover it up so you cannot see through it but he still thinks he's got feet like a gecko. Should I do something about this?

Also he keeps getting dirt on his eyes. Can/should I help him wipe it off?

That is usually because the tank is too small, or there is something in there that is really bothering them, like a bad smell, too much heat, or a UV bulb that hurts their eyes. You might have two out of three or three out of three going on there. I would turn the UV bulb off until you can get a meter under it. Tortoises can go a couple of weeks with no UV, and if you get him outside for some grazing and sunning time in a safe enclosure, you won't need it anyway.

I don't know that substrate so I can say for sure, but with coco coir people tend to have the same problem if its too dry and not hand packed down. Might that solve the problem with your substrate? Dampen it and hand pack it? If you replace it with orchid bark, you won't have this problem.

Reactions: TCS

TCS

That is usually because the tank is too small, or there is something in there that is really bothering them, like a bad smell, too much heat, or a UV bulb that hurts their eyes. You might have two out of three or three out of three going on there. I would turn the UV bulb off until you can get a meter under it. Tortoises can go a couple of weeks with no UV, and if you get him outside for some grazing and sunning time in a safe enclosure, you won't need it anyway.

I don't know that substrate so I can say for sure, but with coco coir people tend to have the same problem if its too dry and not hand packed down. Might that solve the problem with your substrate? Dampen it and hand pack it? If you replace it with orchid bark, you won't have this problem.
Okay thank you very much. I'm going to try to let him graze in my back yard tomorrow. I'll make sure to supervise him.

But for now is there something I should do about the current substrate blocking his face? Or should I just let him naturally wipe it off?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
But for now is there something I should do about the current substrate blocking his face? Or should I just let him naturally wipe it off?

I would try to dampen the substrate and hand pack it. Then rinse off any excess.