Sulcata Tortoises outside? need info please

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt581

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jackson MI
Ok i have 2 sulcata's i'm gettin ready for spring is a 50x50 fenced in area good? for there winter houses (downstairs in the basment) is 9x6 which i think is ok for 4 months out of the yr? In 2 diffrent cages at 9x6.

Ok now also when you owners live in the warm states and house them yr around what do i have to look for as prditors we have fox cyoties and minks in my area should that be a problem? It will be all fenced in and a shed for them to go in. Also they wont dig that much will they? ppl i talked on here said 6months out of the yr little at that.

thanks

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
remind us where you live?
cuz hefting huge 100# tortoise down into a basement for 4 months out of the year...
and just because its winter.. doesnt mean they will be sleeping and not want to cruise around, stay warm, eat and POOP!
if you are talking full grown ones.. then the basesment in a 9x6 is not going to be fair to them or you!
50x50 outside should be ok..
i would figure a way to heat a shed outside for them. mine are out, and on cold days they just dont come out.. if they do, they arent out long.

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
ok thanks! I live in MI:( and there small yet. 1 is 7lbs and the other 1 is 30lbs. but when they get bigger ill find more room inside for winter time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Even in Michigan, you can still build a insulated heated outdoor housing. Like a huge shed. I have a leopard tortoise. I live in Chicago (I was born and raised in '
Michigan) in Chicago I am building my tort a insulated shed. Then I am going to attach to that a greenhouse. The shed will be heated. The greenhouse will be planted with weeds, grasses etc. My tort when he is large enough to stay outside, will be able to graze in the greenhouse during winter months and have a heated house for those days that aren't sunny enough to heat up the greenhouse.

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
Laura said:
remind us where you live?
cuz hefting huge 100# tortoise down into a basement for 4 months out of the year...
and just because its winter.. doesnt mean they will be sleeping and not want to cruise around, stay warm, eat and POOP!
if you are talking full grown ones.. then the basesment in a 9x6 is not going to be fair to them or you!
50x50 outside should be ok..
i would figure a way to heat a shed outside for them. mine are out, and on cold days they just dont come out.. if they do, they arent out long.

do you have any pics of your enclousure? How much does it cost to heat?

wellington said:
Even in Michigan, you can still build a insulated heated outdoor housing. Like a huge shed. I have a leopard tortoise. I live in Chicago (I was born and raised in '
Michigan) in Chicago I am building my tort a insulated shed. Then I am going to attach to that a greenhouse. The shed will be heated. The greenhouse will be planted with weeds, grasses etc. My tort when he is large enough to stay outside, will be able to graze in the greenhouse during winter months and have a heated house for those days that aren't sunny enough to heat up the greenhouse.

dang thats also a good idea a house is just not enought lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am checking into a edenpure electric infrared heater, won't burn tort and can't cause a fire. I know someone that heats their mobile home with one. The mobile home is not insulated very well. It cost them $50.00 a month to run at about 68-70 degrees. However they do not run it at night. They live in Northern Michigan. I figured, in Chicago, similar weather, in a well insulated 9x81/2 foot low roof house it would cost less then that. Hopefully. I will have mine on a thermostate to keep steady temps. I will be having the door of the house open right into the greenhouse, which also has a door at the opposite end for me to enter through. Just make sure you are also able to release some heat if it gets to hot. The green house I am looking at is approx. $269.00 for a 8x8x6.5high. and it has the capabilities of adding several together. Hope this helps.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
When my family had a sulcata we usually let him roam the yard and at night we had an enclosed large rabbit cage barn with a heat lamp inside. We didnt really have problems with squirrels but with raccoons we did, we had to gate around the barn so they couldnt get in :/ You can house them indoors when its cold but it will get messy. We didnt have to worry because its always sunny in cali

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
wellington said:
I am checking into a edenpure electric infrared heater, won't burn tort and can't cause a fire. I know someone that heats their mobile home with one. The mobile home is not insulated very well. It cost them $50.00 a month to run at about 68-70 degrees. However they do not run it at night. They live in Northern Michigan. I figured, in Chicago, similar weather, in a well insulated 9x81/2 foot low roof house it would cost less then that. Hopefully. I will have mine on a thermostate to keep steady temps. I will be having the door of the house open right into the greenhouse, which also has a door at the opposite end for me to enter through. Just make sure you are also able to release some heat if it gets to hot. The green house I am looking at is approx. $269.00 for a 8x8x6.5high. and it has the capabilities of adding several together. Hope this helps.

Are u going to bulid the shed or buy it? That green house is a great idea! u have the website for it?? thanks man

nicoleandrocky said:
When my family had a sulcata we usually let him roam the yard and at night we had an enclosed large rabbit cage barn with a heat lamp inside. We didnt really have problems with squirrels but with raccoons we did, we had to gate around the barn so they couldnt get in :/ You can house them indoors when its cold but it will get messy. We didnt have to worry because its always sunny in cali

We have tons of racoons around my area. Ya i wished i lived in a warm state yr around im over snow and cold winters:(

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
This is WalkingRocks Bunker. It is made from 2x8 boards with a door like roof. mine is not insulated but I dont need it. Insulating it would be easy enough if you use panel insulation sealed to the inside wall with plywood paneling. With proper insulation and the Mini-Oil filled Radiator heater inside. Winters should be bearable. Do Not Use Dome heaters as they proved to be expencive to run and did very little good.

DSCN0305.jpg
DSCN0307.jpg
DSCN0340.jpg
DSCN0354.jpg

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
that is soooooo cool! nice looking Sulcata you have also! I take it u living in TX u can leave him out there yr around?

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Coons are the worst! But usually how we kept them away we put food at the farthest corner of the yard and they stopped coming near the torts, but thats just how our raccoons in the area acted.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
No, they just would watch them. Sometimes they would get close but the torts would charge them haha. So they kept their distance

Status
Not open for further replies.