Sulcata "urates question" Again

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
She really needs a safe enclosure. I have my torts in a bedroom. I use an oil filled heater to keep the room 80F. They each have a humid hide with a Kane mat and CHE to keep the temps above 80F at night. The floor is colder than ambient. My females all have a basking area with substrate over 8 inches deep for nesting.
My 45 pound Sulcata lives outside. I built an insulated night box in the back of a green house. His box is kept at 80F with an oil filled heater and a Kane mat. I feed him primarily hay and romaine. I add grassland tortoise food several times a week, and give him a couple of cups of mazuri each week. He is still able to graze most days. I hung lights in the green house for a basking area.
My point is they have to have correct temps and an appropriate environment.
Get a temp gun, less than $20 at Lowe's. Check the temps where she is. Something is going on, and I do not think the diet is the primary problem.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Do you have a temp gun? Amazon like 20 dollars. Check her heat. A 150 watt that should be warm.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Oh just a note. My temp Guage is on the floor. So my kings house is 78.8 min on the floor. So room temp won't do. Good luck

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
I'm sorry to keep bugging you but yes now it's turning winter here. I will up my kings floor temp to a min of 80.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Well, before I could deal with her temp she has begun to eat... like normally....she will have eaten 2 bunches of "washed" dandelion leaves in about 20 minutes...

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
I am checking her temp now....would she get days of diahrea when her temp is low...??

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Glad she is eating again. I think the diarhea is from too much watery food. I would not give straight dandelion, or anything for that matter. They need variety. Dandelion would be excellent for mixing with hay. Again chop it all up really small. Yes she will leave as much hay as she can, but will have to eat some to get the dandelion.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Her floor is at 82.4 or above that. I think that is within the range. I have had her heat element closer to her until she got diahrea. I was worried she was stressed from being so hot..I do believe her heat is not the problem. Come in a few weeks we will move her to the living room. It is never below 85....with no heat element. LOL

I will add more hay. I have always given her a variety of what you all recommend. See all the past posts. Cactus pads, dandelion, kale are the mainstay. I get better and better..at it...as time went on. I am thinking more that I didn't rinse the dandelions one day or the volume of new food that she had never had...plus she really had eaten a mass amount of grass in her corral outside until about a week ago....

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Well,an update on Alice.... She ate a little yesterday and I have been feeding her overy few hours and she wakes up from her little corner where the heat is to go see what I have but on her tray. Kale, aloe, prickly pear cactus, dandelions and carrots. So today I found these things in a wet area on her wee wee pads. She may have spilled her water here or gone wee wee, don't think so, but not sure what these brown things are. Could be the pellet food or vomit or urates??????no really know...but you can tell she is feeling sooo much better.....I am still in the process of making her a hot box or "bed". I do believe she is ok for a day or so....

Thanks for all your help.....

alice recovering.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Is that hard or mushy? Gritty? Looks like urates to me, but can't tell the consistency. Dandelion will cause the color tint in urates.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
LOl..What am I doing here????? I smushed it and it is not gritty at all. Could be Mazuri, or vomit. I have never seen her produce urates so I doubt that is it...Well, She is doing better with the same heat and all.... so I will make her a nice bed but I do believe this was either an overload of Mazuri or me not cleaned her food one morning but rather the day before, I was going on a day trip at 4 am that morning . Maybe it grew some bad bacteria overnight. She hasn't had a bowel movement yet but I will surely let you know when it happens.Alice recovering1.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Looks like urates to me. As long as not gritty, perfectly normal and good.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
It's very much not gritty, Thick, smeary and not white....Which is what color I thought urates were. Remember I have never seen them in Alice's urine except the first day she came to me, when she was out in the grass. That didn't not look like this at all.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Well since I can't see it in person, I could be wrong. Not gritty, but creamy like toothpaste, is what it is supposed to look like. Gritty is dehydrated. Creamy is overt normal. Normally they are white, but dandelion Will cause a pinkish tinge.
I have seen lots of urates, from my Sulcata, Russian and leopard tortoises. Pretty sure that's what it is.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Good morning Alice. Lol. so when you get Mazur, the is 2 kinds for torts. there is the original formula and a upgraded Mazuri ls the LS has more fiber I believe so would be best for Alice. I sent you Mazuri ls. good day

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Thank you for the extra info. Alice had a bowel movement today for the first time since she stopped having diahhrea. So as I look back at these posts she stopped having diahhrea on the 30th and began to eat that day. So she went 4 days without having a bm. She wee wee's a few times in that space. So her bm was a little soft but beginning to firm up. She actually went out walking a little holding her body up high. That is the first time she has done that since all this has happened.

I am so relieved........