Sulcata "urates question" Again

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Your chickens will be fine. Read the sulcata care sheet, more specifically the diet section. You can find many items that won't cost you any money.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
hibiscus flowers equal tortoise crack

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Broccoli is not a great one. This is a handy nutrition guide: http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm

And as said above, read the diet information in the sulcata section. I don't keep sulcata, but as I understand it, they spend much of their day grazing grasses. Yours is large enough that I imagine you can supplement grazing with hay, grape and mulberry leaves, and hibiscus leaves and flowers.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
alice breakfast 9 14.jpg

So this is Alice's breakfast this morning. Half zucchini , half yellow squash, point half of aloe and a good hand full of kale. I also gave her Oxbow Timothy. This will just be a snack. Please tell me if all this is good for her. I can't feed her grasses at the moment for it's too cold for her outside and she just won't eat the grasses that I pull out and put on a plate or tray. It is the same grass that she eats on her own all day when it is warm for her to go outside.She just won't eat them unless she hunts for them herself.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Cut grass up with scissors and sprinkle on top get some hay and do the same thing cut tiny and sprinkle on top do more each time you feed more each week. you need some good fiber in your tort. Member he had runs when you got him fiber fiber fiber from weeds and grasses until all he eats is grasses hay weeds and do you have any muzuri? have you tried getting it wet and feed to him

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Ok I will try cutting the Timothy up and mixing it in the food. Also I will add cuttle bone powder...today.

Am sorry for being such a pain but as weather changes in my area I realize we will be in trouble. I know she was eating tons of grasses but I didn't realize I was giving her bad foods also. She eats a large volume of food and poops a large amount of good healthy stuff every morning...

Thank you all for your help...

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Have you tried Mazur? If you don't want to buy It, to try it, I can send you some free to see if he or she will eat some. your no trouble this is the reason for the forum. good luck pm me with address if you need

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
20150914_140525[1].jpg

OK. So she ate the kale and zucchini and timothy that I had mixed in with the food. I think she had eaten the timothy yesterday also for her stool had lots of grass looking stuff in it much like all the days that she grazed outside but allot more of it....

I have this reptile food that I have not fed her yet. It came from her old owner. I also picked up this calcium without vitamin D3. I will use the calcium from now on. I got it without vit D3 because that's all they had at our little store. It's good for right now.

Robertchrisroph, I have not gotten Mazur yet. A sample would be very very welcome into Alice's house... Will PM you her addy....

So I want to tell you all that, I believe, when you decide to take in a certain animal that you should do all the homework you can before you bring them home. Do you all realize how many different opinions there are out there? I was offered Alice one day and got her the next day. It was ok with me as the old owner gave me allot of instructions. After all they grew her up for 5 years to be quite large. I then began to read and tweak my "Alice keeping" to be the best that she could have. Well, how did she make it for those years?? Guess they make it somehow.....So I will continue my "little Alice venture" tweaking her care a little more every day...

I have ordered a case of each, prickly pear cactus pads and dandelions also. I will pick them up tomorrow. Very soon she will not be able to go outside to graze and hopefully I will be able to give her good care for all our Winter and Spring months.

I keep a regular light on for heat that she seems to enjoy in my kitchen. She will love there for our Winter. I will use a porcelain heat lamp soon. It seems she likes the heat but also likes the dark. That should work for me and her if you all think it's ok. I will protect the whole deal from fire....

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
So this is Alice's breakfast today. A small handful of kale a few slices, aloe, yellow squash and zucchini cubed, timothy cut up into 1 inch pieces and powdered calcium mixed in with the food so it sticks on it. All topped off with 2 flowers from the greenhouse. Usually she does her BM and all by now. This is the first time she has missed in 2 months. alice breakfast 9 15.jpg

It is going to get over 65 degrees here today so she will go out into the hot tub room at that point. I leave the door open so that she can choose to go out and graze or not. I hope this all sounds good to you all. I have not seen the white urates at all for days. It is a clear liquid that doesn't smell at all.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Thank you. Now for the first time since she came to me she has dierha. Will she get dehydrated and why if the food is better for her is this happening?

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
So I mixed Alices grass in with kale and cactus pads and dandelion sprinkled with calcium and this is what was left in her tray at the end of the day. She really does not like to eat the timothy. I have soaked it and she won't eat it that way either. I don't think I can trick her...before and after pictures below...

alices breakfast 9 16 2.jpg
alices breakfast 1 16 3.jpg

Attachments

• alices breakfast 9 16 1.jpg
    alices breakfast 9 16 1.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 8

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Wonderful. Yes and if you want cut smaller. You see when she takes a bite of kale or whatever and there is grass or weeds on top she don't know she is eating it. She does without knowing. Eventually more and more. Next you know it's allot. Also do you soak her or have tray for her to lay in? Good luck. Great work

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
I bought a little swimming pool for that as I only have a shower or small double kitchen sink. I haven't put her in it for a while. Should do that today. I will cut her timothy into smaller pieces from now on. Sorta like chocolate in milk, or catsup on scrambled eggs for kids. Hiding healthy things in the good tasting food.

Today I added even more food and timothy and calcium and this is what is left. It was a mounding pile on her tray. So maybe she is doing better. She made 2 cigar log stools all day instead of about 2 cups. So it's much less than before. Still no urates, just wet that doesn't really smell.
alices breakfast 1 17.jpg

Attachments

• alices breakfast 1 17.jpg
    alices breakfast 1 17.jpg
    917.7 KB · Views: 9

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Alice loved her bath at our garage sale. She was a big hit. I poored warm water over her and let her splash around for about ten minutes.20150918_140927.jpg

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Good morning. Thank you. I know her shell is pyramidin but hopefully I can stop it now. I am really not sure is she liked her swim time but we are going to do it again today. She is 22 pounds now and I am trying to figure out the volume of food she should be eating in a day.20150919_074518.jpg

This is a handful of kale, 3 prickly pear pads, timothy, and calcium. When she gets outside there are 10 whole dandelion plants scattered in her corral. They are placed where she usually doesn't walk. The grass is getting very high there and I want her to graze there today. And yes....she can see through her corral wall. All she does is runs around the edge. It looks like a racetrack. I will address that in the future. I noticed that, after she was in the real, yard, and then put back, she really, really, wanted you get out. LOL