Sulcata "urates question" Again

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
That is a lot of calcium. I would cut back on that. Just a sprinkle 2 or 3 times a week. Looks like you cut back on the timothy again. Her diet should be 80 percent grass and hay.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Jodie, no just used what she left yesterday. I will chop the timothy up smaller and make a fresh tray tomorrow and use less calcium. Thank you all for helping. Her stools are very firm again and still no u rates in her wee wee.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Okay. So turn your hot water all the way on, turn cold water all the way on. Now put your hand under it. Can you bath a baby in that temp? If you can, fill something up about 4 to 5 inches deep. Put Tortoise in for 15 to 30 minutes. Every other day. Let's see if she is dehydrated. Tortoise looks great

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
So now I an cutting Alice timothy up this small. If this is good I will cut the whole bag up at one sitting. I will pick up orchard grass this week.
20150920_075849.jpg
Next I would like to talk about Alices urine. It has become brownish or tan with no u rates in it. I am able to watch her very closely as she does it on plastic. 20150920_092451.jpgDo you all think this is nornal.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Normal. And yes if she eats it at that size without knowing go for it. But the smaller the more she might ingest. Good luck. My King has urine that color at times he is still alive

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
So extactly how much Mazur can a 25 pound sully eat in 1 sitting Robertchrisroph????? This is scary. Now I got the idea of tricking the little child in my house. She loves to go for the dogs food, so I took their food out and put some Mazur in it. She won't stop eating..... Someone help me if she should not eat about 2 cups in 1 setting......

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
That is a good sign. But yes, you should only use a couple times a week. Nice she is eating tortoise food. Good going

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Well, You didn't answer my question.....How much should she eat in a day?????

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
I only have a handful left now. She seens like she was starving to death.... not sure I am doing good things for her....

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I think a couple cups a couple times a week is fine. Is she eating the hay better yet? Now that she eats Mazuri you can use that to get her to eat good stuff. If you soak a cup of Mazuri in water, then you can mix it with hay. It gets mushy. Start with more Mazuri than hay, and increase the amount of hay.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Thanks for your replies. I am beside myself with her food. I have learned so much from all of you guys.

She is 4 cactus pads and about a large package of kale, 1 or 2 bunch of dandelion leaves. It's a pile that looks like about 2 footballs. I have not been able to get her to eat much timothy. I have soaked it and blended it with her kale. It always seems to be laying in the bottom of her empty tray. She probably eats a little but I assure you it's not 80 percent of her diet. Today I will try to chop it up in the blender like you recommended. I had been traveling allot for the last week and couldn't get it done.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My leopards leave some hay at the end of the day as well. That's ok. Just keep offering it.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
I am worried about Alice.....she has had diahrea and is sleeping all the time. She woke up to eat for about 3 minutes and now is sleeping again. Don't think it was the Mazuri but she sure ate allot of them yesterday.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
She has been living in my kitchen since our weather is cooling off here in Pa. She had gone outside when it was above 65 degrees and \eaten vast vast amount of grass and weeds. Now she is only eating what I am giving her. There is a corner she has chosen to sleep in under a bakers rack so I have a 150 watt heat element about 15 inches over her. He is nice and warm to the touch. She had gone into the room to eat and when she felt like it she went into her corner to warm for a while and them back out into the room again. She sleeps there all night in the warm. Our home really holds the heat. In these last few evenings I wear a cotton short night shirt and shorts while watching tv even though it's pretty cold outside.

I believe it has to be the lesser volume of grass, or that I didn't wash the dandeloins one day, or the sudden volume of Mazuri that one day.....It's so funny that she wouldn't eat it in her regular food place but she loved it in the dogs food dish where they eat.That's the treat, going into the livingroom I usually have to hide the dog food for she loves it...

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
She needs heat. Please listen to Jodi here. My kings house never goes below 78.8 degrees. They can go outside when cold for a bit but needs to be able to get ibody temp to 80 just to digest food. She could have a belly ack. Do you have a heat emitter? Now these Temps are minimum. They could be 80-90-100 and if she is sick it should be 90s or more. All times. Let's get this girl happy. Lol. Good luck.