Sulcata with possible Herpes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamerus88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hey everyone,

I recently acquired a Sulcata as a temporary foster "child" to get it out of a terrible situation where it lived in a Bath tub with no light and an improper diet. I've had him for about a week and half to monitor for health issues and so far he's looked very healthy, especially considering his previous conditions. His appetite is amazing, his feces is sometimes a little watery but looks very fiber filled. His skin is a little pale (assuming from dietary issues) and he has a little bit of flakeyness on the shell. All things that didn't exactly worry me considering his lack of care.

However about four days after he arrived I was feeding him a special treat (Yellow Squash in small amounts), and I noticed a weird red lesion(s). I was able to get a photo a couple days later using the treat method to get him to open his mouth and the color of the lesions took on a more brown color.

No vet has seen the actual lesions in person (that will change tomorrow), but two of them that I work with (at a Wildlife Rehab center) think the lesions may be herpes like.

Based on the photos could anyone who has seen Tortoise Herpes in person confirm similarities? We will be doing Cytology very soon and finding out for sure, but my mind is going a mile a minute now.

I also have two Russian and two Red-Foot Tortoises that have made NO direct contact with him, but I worry that during diet making or after moving one or the other I may have forgotten to wash my hands once or twice. I am panicking about the possible transmission to my other torts. No direct contact has occured via bodily fluids, but I might have touched the shell of one and then the other. I just can't find much info on transmission vectors and viral shedding on the disease, so I'm extremely restless.

Any information you may have will be greatly appreciated.

herptort.jpg

sulcataherp?.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fortunately, I have not had to deal with tortoise herpes yet. I did some research on it a while back, but I'm no expert. Given your tortoises other attributes, lack of symptoms and history, I would guess, I said GUESS, that you more likely have some sort of oral bacterial infection or stomatitis. I only say this to try to calm you down a bit until you get to the vet. It does not look like the the herpes pics that I saw when I looked into it, and his behavior and lack of symptoms don't match up with tortoise herpes either.

Hopefully your vet will be able to give you a real diagnosis and it will be something easily fixable.

Please keep us posted. I always like to learn.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
A tip to minimize the problem with hand-washing, use disposable gloves and keep a bin directly near the enclosure. I'd still wash my hands afterwards but chances are if you forget to wash them it won't transmit as easily (whatever it turns out to be).

Kamerus88

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Update on his status. The Lesions resolved after about a week thus we weren't able to get a "great" swab of the mouth. The tests came back negative though so even with a recently resolved lesion if there was Herpes in the region it would have likely been present in the test. So we're fairly confident that he is indeed negative given his attitude and continued wonderful demeanor!

I am wondering if the special treat pepper I gave him early on might have been a bit to acidic for his poor tongue resulting in the blister like lesions even?

Anyways thanks for your concern and info guys!

That said, our little rescue is now looking for a forever home! We are located in Southwest florida and willing to drive/meet in order to get him a nice new place!

BriBri

5 Year Member
Poor lil thing .. hope hes not in any pain /:

Sent from my SM-T310 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.