TORTOISE HERPES?!?!?!?!?!? Help? Advice?

Adam90

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota
im so sorry to hear about your torts!! unfrountly some people just dont care about the animals there selling let alone the animals already in the home. We wore frounite that the place we got my russion tort only sold us a bunch of stuff we didnt need....so far sissy is doing great! even though it took us a while to get everything set up properly. i dont know enough to offer any help but i will most defently keep you and your torts in my prayers!
Prayers are always helpful! Thanks!!!

Adam90

Sarasota
I have dealt with HV several times and it is why I quarantine for a full year now. I also have all my Russian tortoises tested when they come in.

First thing to do is isolate the sick in small enclosures. I have enough outdoors that I just give them a 2’x4’ or 4’x4’. Make sure it gets plenty of sun as they will be basking a ton. I can’t think of the antiviral Rx I used, but it did help. I also soaked every other to every day depending on the torts condition and how they tolerate soaks. Minimize any stress to the tortoise. If you have to tube feed, use Critical Care for your food.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Wow thank you so much!! I separated everyone IMMEDIATELY. Ive been soaking everyday as well. I am not home but I did receive an Rx. Once I get home I'll pm you what it is I'd like to get some feedback. You're clearly more experienced in dealing with this issue.

Adam90

Sarasota
How many days did it take after they received the sample did it take to get the results?

Hi Adam how did they determine it was Herpes? The standard test is a q-PCR test. but there are actually different ways to get results, one test typically gives you results the next day. But the other q-PCR test uses a lot of filters to filter out false positive results. that test takes about two weeks and cost a few hundred dollars as opposed to the other simple q-PCR test which only cost about $20 unfortunately most vets use the simple test.
if one dies make sure to get a whole body necropsy send the complete (not Frozen) animal to a pathology lab.
obviously separate the animals and follow strict disinfection procedures when handling them and going in and out of their cage. Sam

Unfortunately (after many visits to the vet) the first one that died went undiagnosed or incorrectly diagnosed. At first they thought it was an. RI but it never had any fluid discharge whatsoever and then it was possibly MBD but it passed shortly after. This time around I took no chances and got on it right away and presented them with video, diet, uv exposure, soak time, you name it down to the finest detail. The testing alone set me back a couple hundred bucks but it was worth it to find answers. I was also given an Rx but I was told this tortoise was very likely terminal. It's still alive ATM but it's paralysis makes it very hard to get around. I have to set it in some water to drink several times a day. If/when this tortoise passes I will definitely take your advice to have a necropsy. I should've had it done on the first one. Thank you for your advice!!

Ps: BIG FAN. love the videos!!! Keep em' coming!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well I appreciate it!!
I hope they do!! There's alot of VERY experienced people on this forum. I will gladly accept any information. I've got everybody separated in their own bins for now. I have one of my super nice high reds that has already started slowing down which is NOT good. I recently added a bunch of exceptional animals to add to my group and now they're all at risk. It's a bummer for sure.
My heart goes out to you. Read through this thread you started over and ove again r. They are answering you. I'll be hoping and praying for all of your animals.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Unfortunately (after many visits to the vet) the first one that died went undiagnosed or incorrectly diagnosed. At first they thought it was an. RI but it never had any fluid discharge whatsoever and then it was possibly MBD but it passed shortly after. This time around I took no chances and got on it right away and presented them with video, diet, uv exposure, soak time, you name it down to the finest detail. The testing alone set me back a couple hundred bucks but it was worth it to find answers. I was also given an Rx but I was told this tortoise was very likely terminal. It's still alive ATM but it's paralysis makes it very hard to get around. I have to set it in some water to drink several times a day. If/when this tortoise passes I will definitely take your advice to have a necropsy. I should've had it done on the first one. Thank you for your advice!!

😭

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.

I am So sorry, You've done so much and have been/are going through He**.
I know I don't have to say it but. . . don't give up, you must NEVER give up!
You still have lil ones, that STILL need you! Keep your eyes out, you have developed a keen sense about your remaining torts. Give them all the Love, care that you can right now.
My prayers, Like Dragon's are with you and your lil ones...:tort:

GMCNEILL

SPARKS
Actually, posting your experience and mentioning the vendor by name in our vendor reviews section could be extremely helpful to future keepers and might also help to get that seller or seller/breeder to seek medical help for the future tortoises for sale.
You can also feel free to mention the seller by name on this thread.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
once again im curious which vet you are using here locally. please shoot me a message regarding necropsy if another one dies i can set you up with the proper place to send them. do not let the vet do the necropsy they will not be able to tell you what a good lab will i work with a couple excellent ones here locally who are very versed in all these types of diseases. again my number and contact info are in my signature and we are right near you im happy to take a look at them i do have experience with this. also as sam mentioned the test must be a pcr test at least here and not a normal local lab doing the testing. if they sent it out here locally i prob know which lab they sent it to and they tend to not do pcr testing there to often. ill shoot you a pm. cost wise i can def set it up through the rescue here to get you better pricing which hopefully will help some if we send them in with our info it will cost less that way.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
i sent you a pm with more of my info and some more info as well as my direct contact info. do lmk if you have any questions from there. i am happy to take a look and try to direct you from there.