sulcata

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Ya know? It may be important to keep young sulcatas warm, but I'm seeing more and more sulcatas that have not been kept warm in the winter, that have been left to fend for themselves in their burrow over the winter, and they come out of it just fine.

Here's the case of a hatchling sulcata bought at a pet store years (?) ago, kept by a young college student until he couldn't keep it anymore, given to his friend who kept it for a while, then given to his parents. The parents live on the outskirts of a small farming community just south of Fresno, CA and the tortoise lived in their back yard. He dug a burrow. The burrow went very deep and turned after about 10' so they couldn't see the bottom of it. The people had no idea how to care for this animal and just let him do his thing in the back yard. They gave him lots of romaine lettuce. In fact, they bought three or four cases of it at a time.

The winters here in the Central Valley of California average about 40F during the day (sometimes warmer, sometimes colder), and about 30F at night...occasionally dipping down into the lower 20'sF. This sulcata had no heat. He lived in his burrow during those cold times just fine.

Rescue #48 8-20-14 a.jpg Rescue #48 8-20-14 b.jpg Rescue #48 8-20-14 c.jpg

My sulcata, Dudley, weighs about 110lbs and this sulcata, Buddy, is ever so slightly bigger than Dudley. I'm guessing maybe 120lbs or so. He's up for local adoption pending yard inspection, and there is no fee.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've seen some survive that too. I've also seen loads of them die from it. Friend of mine killed a gorgeous five year old that way winter before last. So sad. He figured desert tortoises do it and live, so this one would be fine. Lady he got it from didn't ever heat it either. I tried to tell him...

This big guy looks like he's in decent shape.

Your winter days are only in the 40's? We seldom fail to achieve at least mid 60's and usually higher. Interesting.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's funny this am, before getting online I was thinking about the tunnel my big boyz made and wondering how well it would stay warm during the winter. Was making myself a note that I should try to figure a way to get temps taken down there all winter.

sparkyfiveone

Hi Yvonne,
I am curious if Buddy had difficulty transitioning from the diet of lettuce , and does he try to burrow to create his previous habitat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've had Buddy for almost two weeks now. He lives in my back yard while I look for a suitable home for him. There is a 'cave' on my carport where he goes at night (excuse the white stuff all over the cement - urates), and the yard is lush with Bermuda grass. He started grazing as soon as we tipped him out of the wheel barrow, and he hasn't stopped since. I still give him a head of romaine occasionally, so the switch from lettuce to grass isn't such a shock to his system.

Buddy 8-30-13.jpg Buddy's cave 8-30-14 b.jpg Buddy's cave 8-30-14.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, in the picture above that shows the dog and the tortoise, see the fence in front of them? Well the left side of that fence is up against the house and anchored on a 4x4 post. I went out into the back yard yesterday and I could see about 10" of daylight between the house and Dudley's pasture, which is on the other side of that fence. The 4x4 post was evidently rotten and Buddy pushed the fence so that the post was now sitting about 4" into Dudley's pasture. What a strong animal. I set a new 4x4 right next to the old rotten one, then had to man handle that section of fence back to where it belongs so I could strap it to the new post. It took all my strength and the help of a pry bar to move the fence back...but that little tortoise seemingly had no trouble at all moving it.

I went to have a look at a yard a couple days ago of some folks who want to adopt Buddy, but they have a box turtle and two small sulcatas already in their yard. I told them that Buddy would kill those animals. I don't think they believed me.

So he's still looking for a home. Time to get back on the phone and try to find someone who wants a bulldozer on their property.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Darn, was hoping the possible new home would work. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's funny this am, before getting online I was thinking about the tunnel my big boyz made and wondering how well it would stay warm during the winter. Was making myself a note that I should try to figure a way to get temps taken down there all winter.

With video in hand and another person with video in hand, you climb down there and let us know what all you find. Make sure you tie a rope onto you, just incase you need help getting out:p Oh, then of course share the vid with us:D

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
On the interest of monitoring temps in burrows, or the tortoise temp, there are temp recording buttons. They collect temp data on an interval you set, from a few seconds to several days. Later when you collect the button, you download the temp data into a computer spreadsheet.

Some people have learned about habitat utilzation by placing buttons in several places around a large natural habitat area, and a button on the turtle being studied. Then later when they collected all the buttons and downloaded that data they could infer where and when the studied turtle moved from one type of sub habitat area to another by correlating temps and time.

It's a well proven method. So, for about $150 (a few buttons, and the software) you can see exactly what temps the tortoises in burrows deal with.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
With video in hand and another person with video in hand, you climb down there and let us know what all you find. Make sure you tie a rope onto you, just incase you need help getting out:p Oh, then of course share the vid with us:D

I would but, BArb you would be wetting your pants with laughter and I just couldn't do that to you. :)