Sulcatas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas Texas BABY!
Okay so for my 12th birthday I had my heart set to a Russian, but then in hours swiched to a Sulcata. I like their big size, looks, and everything! I heard little negative Russian talk but nothing but positive things about Sulcatas. So I went to a pet store that had a high price, and not active sulcata plus the guy was a jerk to me! So we bought one from a lady who's friend bred them and I have never seen such an active bunch! I picked my favorite and my brother's shares an enclosure with mine. I soak them, and have a water bowl available. They are super active and little piggies! I feed them spring mix, and a pellet stuff from the pet store that provides things sulcacats need. I have 2 rocks under their 60 watt heat lamp and UVB lamp. (The temps are around 90 under lamps.) I use alfalfa for substrate in case they eat it its okay, and I have a hide log. I can see sort of a personality now and they are hilarious and adorable!! I love them so much! Am I doing things right? And how oftern should I sprinkle calcuim powder on their food? Also we "say" mine is a female she's bigger than the other and eats more. What should I name her? I am leaning towards Nala because its an African name for an African torotise and means successful. What do yall think? Comments, tips, and I would love to hear some about your own sulcatas!!! Thanks for reading feel free to PM or email me!:tort::D Oh and they are both about 5 months old!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I recommend that you change the substrate. I like coir, soil, or a mix for babies, although it seems some are noticing more cases of impaction from coir alone as of late if the babies go nuts on it and consume too much. I have not had this happen to me, but I also do not have some of the numbers some bigger breeders have.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I agree about the substrate. It is also harder to keep humidity levels up without creating mold issues. Below my signature is some good threads about care and setup for your sulcatas. I recommend reading them.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
The best habitat for raising baby sulcata would emulate the wet, rainy season they are born into in the wild. Temperatures would be around 80* and the humidity would be around 80%. They would have hiding places, to get away from light and feel secure, that would be even more humid than out in the open. You just can't achieve that with alfalfa pellets for substrate.

I add a calcium supplement about twice a week. With babies, three times wouldn't hurt.

Eventually you are going to need to seperate the two sulcata. They do not do well in pairs. One will dominate the other. He may not harm the other physically, but he will take the best basking spot, hiding spot, and that sort of thing denying the other the best opportunity for growth. At 5 months it has probably already started.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are quite a few things I would do differently. If you click the links in my signature there is all sorts of sulcata info.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
animalfreak said:
The compaction thing is why we use alfalfa and my little piggies ahve tried eatiing it!

I was talking about impaction as it relates to coir. Not compaction.

As for the switch from alfalfa to one of the other substrates, that was so that it could be kept moistened.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Tom said:
There are quite a few things I would do differently. If you click the links in my signature there is all sorts of sulcata info.

Agreed, for the best results read those threads. You have the right attitude, just need amore knowledge and then apply it and you should have good results. I will say that himidity is going to be your biggest challenge.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
Baoh said:
I was talking about impaction as it relates to coir. Not compaction.

As for the switch from alfalfa to one of the other substrates, that was so that it could be kept moistened.

Oh haha sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.