Sulcuta bear attack! Almost!

Outatime

Hi Guys

So after living in central Florida for fifiteen years last night we get a visit by two black bears, I have heard rumors of them being in the area but never seen them before. I was watching my camera last night and noticed movement in my Sully's house and noticed a huge bear claw going through the door to get at him, I rushed out as fast as I could to scare them off and luckily no harm was done apart from them pulling the top off his wooden house.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before, I am going away for three weeks in a couple of days and worried about what I can do to protect him. Any suggestions? I brought him in the last couple of days at night and plan on making his area higher but dont know how far a bear will go to get at him. Worried :(

Thanks

Stu

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yipes...that's super scarey, especially since you're planning a trip away. I had no idea a bear would be interested in a tortoise. Was there maybe some left-over food in there that attracted the bear?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
bears are omnivores so it makes sense but never heard of it happening before. a gun works pretty well in scaring off bears

Prairie Mom

I wonder how they would react to those motion detector sprinklers? Oddly enough, those seem to deter a lot of things. Strong motion flood lights would be a good thing too.

I am also thinking the same way as Yvonne and wondering if the bear smelled food. I think they would be more likely to be attracted to yummy/stinky smelling leftovers.

Kudos to you for being a brave and protective tortoise Dad!:D

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I go along with the smell attracting them , all the garbage cans in our State Parks out here are "Bear Proof" ! They must work because you almost need to go to school to figure out how to throw a bag of garbage away ! LOL :D

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Outatime, Bears are creatures of habit and they are VERY food driven, Even the smallest amount of food will bring them back. It may not be your tortoise they are interested for a food source but more curious. The food source may not be your home but in your area. I live in PA and we deal with bears on a regular bases. They are very destructive and we littlie have wardens that come in the area to remove them. I don't have the answer. for how to approach this issue but your tortoise is the important thing. Good luck and be safe.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Since you know those Bears are in the area I would bring your tortois inside during your vacation. they probably won't be as happy but they'll be safe and you'll be sure that they're safe. unless you can find a way to bear-Safe your tortoise home before then

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know people use electric fences to keep bears away from live stock. I would give it a try .

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Wow, did someone cue the horror movie music when you spotted the bear claw?? Because that's terrifying!! Glad your tortoise is OK!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do some research on how people bear proof their chicken coop. If it works for the chickens that should work for the tortoise.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If they have another bear season next year in Fl. I would be more than happy to take care of them for you.:) Have bow, will travel.
bow, like bow & arrow? Forget that give me a shotgun

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I was going to suggest electric fencing as well. If you live in an urban area where they may be considered a nuisance animal you can contact animal control, DNR, etc and they may relocate them. My grandfather used to do that for the Forest Service and they used giant metal culvert traps. (and he said about 40% of the time they came back, even if they were relocated 20 miles away).

Personally, I would over engineer things with lights, sirens, electricity, etc. I've seen bears tear through cabins here to get to the kitchen.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
A bow with a proper broadhead will likely kill faster than a shotgun ")

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'll use the 7 mag . But you just need to get someone with hunting dogs to chase them away . Put up electric fencing and lock the tortoises up at night . No real need to kill it .