Summer Stars

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My Burmese Stars usually lay in winter. For some reason they decided to lay in summer this year too. I'm not going to complain! :)

For those who don't know, this species is functionally extinct. They are not "endangered". They are EXTINCT in the wild. What we breed in captivity is all that is left of this species. Lucky for the species, they are super hardy, easy to raise and care for, absolutely gorgeous, and super friendly and outgoing. They are an ideal species for a pet. They don't get huge, they are not destructive, they have no special diet requirements... These traits should ensure their survival for a long time to come.

I didn't know if eggs laid in hot weather would hatch or not. Now I know:
IMG_2078.JPGIMG_2077.JPGIMG_2076.JPG

These are two different clutches from two different females. They started pipping last night. More pic to come!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Awesome Tom. I am still eagerly watching and hoping for eggs this year, but no signs yet...

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
My Burmese Stars usually lay in winter. For some reason they decided to lay in summer this year too. I'm not going to complain! :)

For those who don't know, this species is functionally extinct. They are not "endangered". They are EXTINCT in the wild. What we breed in captivity is all that is left of this species. Lucky for the species, they are super hardy, easy to raise and care for, absolutely gorgeous, and super friendly and outgoing. They are an ideal species for a pet. They don't get huge, they are not destructive, they have no special diet requirements... These traits should ensure their survival for a long time to come.

View attachment 312198View attachment 312199View attachment 312200

These are two different clutches from two different females. They started pipping last night. More pic to come!
Congratulations!

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Congratulations Tom, I'm sure they will be beautiful tortoises. Sitting here bitting my tongue, but I have to ask. Any chance of you having plans on giving one a new home, could be interested. I already have a setup for a new baby, no rush.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congratulations Tom, I'm sure they will be beautiful tortoises. Sitting here bitting my tongue, but I have to ask. Any chance of you having plans on giving one a new home, could be interested. I already have a setup for a new baby, no rush.
They will all be for sale in a couple of months.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
They will all be for sale in a couple of months.
Thank you, keep me in mine. Not definite, but a couple of months will give me some time to thing about it. Thank again

Lauren Tilbury

5 Year Member
Huntington Beach, California

View attachment 312198View attachment 312199View attachment 312200

That is so very amazing. I would love to have one! I already have a Gopher Tortoise. how fun for you.

Nash

5 Year Member
S. New Mexico
We thoroughly enjoyed watching your sulcata hatchlings. Looking very forward to watching your Stars now! Thank you for taking the time.