Sun and Cuttlebone

keepergale

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
My tortoises have been in their indoor quarters for almost two weeks. We have had cool rainy weather. Today was sunny and warm enough to use their outdoor pen. I observed one investigating some pebbles so I offered some cuttlebone as a replacement. I was surprised to see three of my five tortoises really go after it. They have had access to cuttlebone all along in their indoor cages. They almost never try it. Today I could hear cuttlebone crunching threw out the yard.
I am speculating that getting a UV charge from the sun(indoor cages have just fluorescent tubes) fueled a desire for calcium. The two weeks indoors is by far their longest indoor stay. They are typically outside every day.
What do you think?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I don't know of torts that go fishing for cuddle fish so for 16 years I've been giving my torts ground eggshells . So I cannt be to much help with your problem . Sorry

Pawciorc

Malta
From my experience it looks following: they get crazy once u serve them a freshly unpacked and strongly smelling cuttlefish bone. After a short while they lose interest for it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
When I put fresh cuttlebone out they go mad for it for a few days, adults and juveniles. When the cuttlebone is old they seem to ignore it, if I put fresh in knowing there is still some old in there, they always instantly go for the fresh stuff after ignoring the old stuff for days/weeks. I take out and replace every 2 wks now. I grind the old stuff up to powder.
A while back I made the mistake of making some tablets with the old ground cuttlebone and some D3 powder. They OD'd on it. Poop got really bitty. So won't be doing that again.

I'm wondering if the new cuttlebone has the fresh fish smell.
Was the cuttlebone in your indoor enclosure fresh ?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Never really thought of this before but now that a few of you mentioned that your tortoises go for the 'fresh' cuttlebone and then ignore the older stuff rang a bell.
That's just what mine do too. Once the cuttlebone has been outside for a few days, even my most cuttlebone addicted females will begin to snub it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Last batch I bought(2 wks ago) was in bulk of 50 cuttlebone, when I opened the bag I noticed a strong wiff of fish smell. When you buy 1,2 or 3 pieces at a time you don't smell it as much.