Sunken eyes?

a_acco29

Location (City and/or State)
CT
Hello, I’m trying to tell whether my Russian tortoise is dehydrated. Do his eyes look sunken to anyone, or is it just me?652D2989-D0AE-4569-A0B4-ABEA7E4C80BB.jpegEC4B8C7D-7640-4425-AFA8-670A3F7680CA.jpeg

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I know nothing about Russians but his eyes seem a tiny bit sunken to me. But not major.

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
Sunken eyes in any tortoise can be a sign of dehydration. I'm no expert, but I would give him/her a nice long soak. I wouldn't imagine there are any major issues. If it really bothers you, you could take him to a veterinarian to put your mind at peace. ?

a_acco29

CT
Ok thanks, so I would just give him a soak every day for awhile? I never see him drink even though he has a water dish, would the soaks be enough to rehydrate him?

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
I do not believe that you can over-soak. You could soak every day for about 30 min. each time for a couple of days. I cannot tell what size he is from the pic, but a hatchling needs soaked daily for 30-40 minutes. If it is a sub-adult, then once every couple of days ought to do it. That is when it is completely healthy.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Are you maintaining proper humidity in his enclosure? Is his substrate slightly damp?
You can also spritz his shell with water a couple times a day. It's best if you use rain water or distilled water for this so his shell doesn't get hard water stains.