Sunning Enclosure

jharrris

Location (City and/or State)
Greenville
I was wondering if I could use this glass enclosure just for sunning? Would I need to add a visual barrier? Would the glass/small space be stressful? I'd only have her in it for maybe an hour at a time a few times a week. I live in Greenville SC and I know Russians are tough, but what would be the maximum hot/cold outside temp for that? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20230130_095340.jpg
    IMG_20230130_095340.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 4

jharrris

Greenville
Do they get UVB from simply being outside when the sun is out? My yard is very small and has lots of trees. Would she still get what she needs from just having an enclosure outside, even if it's shady/cloudy?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think we would have to see a picture or two of the yard outside where you are thinking of putting her. If it is secure from escape or predators, if it will get both shade and sunlight, if the temperature is not too cold, if you put her out there when she would get the maximum benefit of UV light (that is, around midday to one or two p.m.,) etc.

jharrris

Greenville
I think we would have to see a picture or two of the yard outside where you are thinking of putting her. If it is secure from escape or predators, if it will get both shade and sunlight, if the temperature is not too cold, if you put her out there when she would get the maximum benefit of UV light (that is, around midday to one or two p.m.,) etc.
Okay, I'm thinking about using her current enclosure (I'm getting her a bigger one) and putting it in the back area, tried to show the trees/yard in that area.

I guess I could also put her in the front (picture with the trash can) but that wouldn't be as good because of the kids and dogs in the neighborhood

The temperature is pretty mild but has random cold/hot spells

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-30-14-40-14-748.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-30-14-40-14-748.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230130_143057.jpg
    IMG_20230130_143057.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230130_143054.jpg
    IMG_20230130_143054.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230130_143127.jpg
    IMG_20230130_143127.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do they get UVB from simply being outside when the sun is out? My yard is very small and has lots of trees. Would she still get what she needs from just having an enclosure outside, even if it's shady/cloudy?
There is some UV refraction, but generally, they need direct sun for them to get the necessary UV. The tortoise can find sunny patches if there are any. If the canopy is so thick that there aren't any sunny patches, then you need to move the enclosure, or cut back some of the branches. If it is cloudy outside, there is no point in having a baby outside. Babies do better when kept mostly indoors. Adults do better when kept mostly outdoors, weather permitting of course, and with a temperature controlled shelter.

jharrris

Greenville
There is some UV refraction, but generally, they need direct sun for them to get the necessary UV. The tortoise can find sunny patches if there are any. If the canopy is so thick that there aren't any sunny patches, then you need to move the enclosure, or cut back some of the branches. If it is cloudy outside, there is no point in having a baby outside. Babies do better when kept mostly indoors. Adults do better when kept mostly outdoors, weather permitting of course, and with a temperature controlled shelter.
Got it, thank you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Get a kiddie pool from FAMILY DOLLAR or Walmart and toss in a few bags of mulch.
It makes a great outdoor pen. Just sit nearby in a chair and supervise.
Redfoot don't need direct sunlight and there is uv in the shade.

jharrris

Greenville
Get a kiddie pool from FAMILY DOLLAR or Walmart and toss in a few bags of mulch.
It makes a great outdoor pen. Just sit nearby in a chair and supervise.
Redfoot don't need direct sunlight and there is uv in the shade.
I assume that applies to Russians too?