Sunshine has a new house!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I would position the UVB on one side about 1/3 of the way down.
If the CHE is on during the day, then you only need a second light source if you need more light. You can use a smaller fixture for this. Definitely add another light source if needed, but you don't need to spring the $ for a second UVB.
As far as night temps, you have a young Sulcata, right? I think 75 to 80 is preferred, so make sure it is actually 75+ IN your tort enclosure. As you know, temps can vary throughout a house. If you want to be safe, having a night heat source will give your tort the option of 80F, or a bit cooler if you have more than one hide.
You have probably seen this thread?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1iGPdl7va
I really like your tort table.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
LParkey said:
I am using a CHE on her at night. My question is does she need the CHE at night since my house stays at 75 degrees anyway? I have a basking bulb on her. Was just kind of concerned with such a large area if one uvb would be enough, or should I just move it around to wherever she's at in the tort table?

lynnedit said:
Yes, spider plant, pothos, sedum (hens and chicks), christmas cactus, aloe vera.
Here is a helpful link:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

thank you so much!

I would keep the temps at at least 80 degrees (because when you have lots of humidity and too low of temps bad things can happen to your torts health. Upper respiratory infections ) I would run the CHE at night to be safe at night , especially with humidity.
Your tortoise will bask when she wants :) I wouldn't follow her around with the bulb cause being under it constantly will dehydrate her very fast. A basking bulb also only puts out UVA (I'm not sure whether or not you know this so I am just saying it anyways lol)
You would need a mercury vapor bulb specifically to emit the essentially UVB and it also emits UVA and heat. This is the preferred bulb to the other UVB option which is the long fluorescent tubes like the Reptisun 10.0
Hope this helps :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Good advice. (Sorry, by saying UVB, I assumed you meant mercury vapor bulb, aka MVB, which puts out heat/UVB/UVA. Maybe you did!).

Status
Not open for further replies.