Super glue?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Does anyone know if it's safe to use super glue to stick together rocks and plastic and things for an aquarium with a mud turtle in it? :p

SteveW

Does anyone know if it's safe to use super glue to stick together rocks and plastic and things for an aquarium with a mud turtle in it? :p

Maybe. It's nasty stuff, but once cured may not be an issue. Regardless, I'd suggest aquarium silicone. I've made rock 'sculptures' for mud turtles using it with success.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
my only question is. Is it toxic?

SteveW

Not a simple question. 'Toxic' isn't a yes/no characterization, it's an exposure issue that depends on dose per body weight and route of entry. A similar situation is that pressure treated wood is treated with what are considered toxic materials, namely chromium, cadmium and arsenic, yet it is used successfully around kids (and torts) all the time.
A better question would be, "is it toxic when cured at at the levels likely to present in the aquarium water?". I don't know the answer, but I'd still rather use aquarium silicone.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I thought it was a simple question :-(

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
if the answer is yes simple or otherwise I wouldn't use it

thehowards

5 Year Member
Central FL
Ill chime in here I have a live reef aquarium and water chemistry is a lot more sensitive. You can use any super glue the gel kind. I use it to glue newly cut coral frags to rocks. There is also aquarium putty you can find at an aquarium store not pet store it has to be aquarium only. The super glue has to air cure for a few seconds but the putty can cure under water if it's the red one not the green one.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Cyanoacrylate, the acrylic resin that forms super glue is aquarium safe, it bonds with water and after 24 hours is stable and completely safe in the aquarium. However always check to ensure that nothing else has been added to the glue.
Most leading brands are fine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would also use the aquarium grade silicone.
Every hardware store has it. It is 100% safe once cured.
Super glue also hazes up on glass and the bond would be rigid and in my opinion more brittle than the flexible silicone.
Also, the silicone wouldn't require flat surface areas. It would fill in gaps. Better for rocks, etc.
I have no experience with that marine epoxy for aquariums, but I've only seen it in black.

JAYGEE

I use super glue to glue down coral frags in my saltwater aquarium. I have never lost anything due to the super glue.

Now I did get it in my eye once, but that is a story for another time.

Blake Barber

Georgia
Not a simple question. 'Toxic' isn't a yes/no characterization, it's an exposure issue that depends on dose per body weight and route of entry. A similar situation is that pressure treated wood is treated with what are considered toxic materials, namely chromium, cadmium and arsenic, yet it is used successfully around kids (and torts) all the time.
A better question would be, "is it toxic when cured at at the levels likely to present in the aquarium water?". I don't know the answer, but I'd still rather use aquarium silicone.
Super glue is not only safe but has a very inter
https://fishlab.com/aquarium-glue/

Blake Barber

Georgia
Super glue ,particularly the thicker gel veriaty is not only safe ,but cures in water and is used as in if the preferred methods of attaching aquatic plants to objects such as rocks or drift wood to encourage root binding to these surfaces ...any substance imaginable can have its levels exaggerated to the point of toxicity (obviously some substances more so than others)so it’s not even really a simple question of exposure...it’s not a simple question at all really...but super glue is generally considered safe ...in any practical amount that one would need to use it ...in an artificial aquatic environment...that being said you probably wouldn’t want to pour a five gallon bucket of the stuff in your turtle tank

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I use super glue to glue down coral frags in my saltwater aquarium. I have never lost anything due to the super glue.

Now I did get it in my eye once, but that is a story for another time.

I super glued my fingers together once....but that seems like such a boring story compared to the super glued eye/eyeball you must have :)

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
You can use aquarium superglue designed to glue live corals . You can find it in most saltwater aquarium store .